Poll
Question: What arduino do you have that won't work
Mega - 40 (42.6%)
duemilanove - 34 (36.2%)
dieimila - 6 (6.4%)
other - 14 (14.9%)
Total Voters: 24

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: AVR Dude Error  (Read 9327 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

@retrolefty - good idea, thanks - i'm always curious about what "real" engineers do (as opposed to self-taught learn-as-you-go hobbyists) when it comes to things like this...

@severino - i was going to email you, but i'm going to be driving from boston to nyc this weekend for family stuff. mayb i can stop by on my way back and help manually fix all the ones you have for the liquidware store? justin and i are emailing anyone that bought a mega from the new batch to swap it out.

oh well, this is like the first official open source hardware product recall. :-)

we should tell the italian arduino guys about this. i have to imagine they probably shipped other people broken mega's too...

--------------
Matt
New York City (yay!)
www.liquidware.org

View Profile

I tried a couple of times pushing the reset button while uploading but I guess I just wasnt timing it right.  I appreciate all the hard work you guys put in solving this problem!

Arduino rocks
View Profile

what is the problem w/ other arduinos??????????

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hmmm.. I think the closest I could find is that there were some problems with the arduino ide programmer. The Mega is the only one so far that had this specific kind of trouble, where it was a hardware issue. Most of the time if I get errors on my other arduinos, it's because the usb driver didn't install right, or maybe the latest version of the arduino software didn't like vista. Just to put things in perspective, getting arduino to work was the single biggest reason i "ungraded" from vista back to xp on my laptop :-)

--------------
Matt
New York City (yay!)
www.liquidware.org

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

The main problem with the common "AVR Dudue" error is that it is a very general symptom rather then a specific one. That is, it means that the IDE is failing in communication with the external board. This can be caused by many different reasons. Board not pulled in, USB driver not installed correctly, wrong board selected, wrong comm port selected, bad USB cable, etc, and of course hardware problems on the external board. There will never be one fix for everyone having this same symptom. If one is really unlucky they my have more then one reason it is not communicating correctly and it won't work until all corrections are applied.

Lefty
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 02:38:24 pm by retrolefty » Logged

Devon, UK
Arduino rocks my socks, yes the socks are rocking!
View Profile

OK guys, after a trip to the Iron I have fixed the problem, it turns out that I mis-soldered the crystal (the connections weren't very good) but all is working now, I shall play with Blink.  Funny how blink is the hello world app for Arduino

Washington
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I'm getting the "avrdude not in sync error" with my arduino pro mini 5V 16mHz and I'm using arduino 0016 version. has anyone figured that one out?

Concón, Chile, South América
Try to interface my car with Arduino
View Profile

Dear Lefty,

In the Forum you wrote:

"Maybe they missed the step to burn the bootloader  
Why don't you try and use your burner to try and reload the bootloader from the IDE".

Can you teach me a little about these terms?

What is a burner?
What is a boot loader?

I want to buy a new Arduino board, probably a RBBB (Real Bare Bones Board) because I burned mine.

But I don´t know all the pieces of electronics I need to buy to accomplish the tasks I am planning.

First, I will buy an Arduino board. I think it will be a RBBB.

But there are a series of electronics "pieces" associated, like:

The Bootloader
The Data logger
The Burner
The IC programmer
The AVR
The IDE
and several other terms you people use ...

these confuse me. I want to buy all what I need once, to take advantage of the shipping cost.

What are the tasks I want to perform?

Here they are:

1) Develop my own Arduino application project, to produce a stand alone RBBB to perform according to my own sketch. Produce a stand alone Board, which I will program with my sketch, using a USB port and cable.

2) Re-program an existing stand-alone Arduino kit, to change some inputs, units, parameters, to allow it to work on my car.
For this second task, Is it possible to download the existing sketch to my PC, print it, re-program it, and upload it back to the board? What would I need to do so?

Or,

Is it possible that I unplug the AT328 IC from my board, extract the IC from the stand alone board, plug it into my board where I have my sketch, re-program it, and plug it back on the stand alone board? Will the two IC´s be destroyed or such?

Depending on what is possible I will purchase the electronics elements I need.

I don´t want to buy a set of elements and come to the conclusion that I do not need them and that some are missing for what I need.

PLease give me lesson on what these things are, what I need, give me your opinion. At least, show me some link where I can learn a little more.

Thank you in advance,

OldBeaver

"The old Europe"
Edison Member
Bootloaders suck!
View Profile

> What is a burner?

It's just another piece of (cheap, starting at about 20$ or so) hardware that can program a blank chip that comes straight from the factory. It can also be used to set/unset some configuration bits (called fuse bits). www.adafruit.com has cheap ones that work (e.g. USBtinyISP).

> What is a boot loader?

It is a small piece of software pre-programmed to the micro controller that can talk to the PC using serial. It automatically starts after a reset. It's meant to ease to process of getting code onto the chip (avoiding to use a 'programmer' / 'burner' ...).

Sometimes this piece of code can get trashed and you need a programmer to restore it. It's also possible to write code (e.g. with the watchdog timer), that leaves the chip in a state so the bootloader can't work.

> The Bootloader

Will be on the chip, if you buy an Arduino board. Chips bought at normal suppliers are blank.

> The Burner / The IC programmer

See above.

> The AVR

AVR is a brand name by Atmel Co. that classifies a certain type of chip family they sell.

> The IDE

The Arduino Software. Integrated Development Environment.

> 1) Develop my own Arduino application project, to produce a stand alone RBBB to perform according to my own sketch. Produce a stand > alone Board, which I will program with my sketch, using a USB port and cable.

No problem. I do that too.

> 2) Re-program an existing stand-alone Arduino kit, to change some inputs, units, parameters, to allow it to work on my car.
> For this second task, Is it possible to download the existing sketch to my PC, print it, re-program it, and upload it back to the board?
> What would I need to do so?

You can only download machine code from the chip. You can also disassemble it, but that will not give you the easy human readable c/c++ code. Only for experts/geeks/nerds.

> Is it possible that I unplug the AT328 IC from my board, extract the IC from the stand alone board, plug it into my board where I have
> my sketch, re-program it, and plug it back on the stand alone board? Will the two IC´s be destroyed or such?

As long as the bootloader is on the chips you use, you can do that, no problem.
Given that programmers that work with AVR chips are quite cheap it doesn't hurt having one of them too. That way you can skip swapping chips around and program the chip in it's circuit. (ICSP programmer: In Circuit Serial Programmer). The day will come when you will need a programmer. It also gives you the option of just buying 'normal' AVR chips at your favorite supplier and save some money (a few bucks per chip).

Hope that answered some of the most pressing questions.

• Upload doesn't work? Do a loop-back test.
• There's absolutely NO excuse for not having an ISP!
• Your AVR needs a brain surgery? Use the online FUSE calculator.
My projects: RGB LED matrix, RGB LED ring, various ATtiny gadgets...
• Microsoft is not the answer. It is the question, and the answer is NO!

Arduino rocks
View Profile

i have just buy arduino mega from smartproject but it doesn't work..
today i noticed that i'm not alone..many people have the same problem...look at 26° (not 24#) Embarrassedmessage on the following webpage..
www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1243607033/15
i don't believe it!
if it's the problem i 'll want a compensation!!!!!!
Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

"The old Europe"
Edison Member
Bootloaders suck!
View Profile

Fex12 - if it is indeed the same problem, you can still upload code by pressing the reset button at the right moment !

Uploading code by manually resetting the board:

Change this in the Arduino IDE's "preferences.txt" file:

build.verbose = true
upload.verbose = true

On linux the file is located in "$HOME/.arduino/". On Windows XP you can find it in "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Arduino\". Then start the IDE (older versions than V17 would only show the debugging data on a terminal/dos-window. On Winblows this required starting it with "run.bat"). When you press "upload", a lot of build messages will appear in the terminal. Watch out for these lines:

avrdude: ser_open(): setting dtr
avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20]
avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20]

As soon as they appear release the reset button and it will upload. With just a little practice this works perfectly fine.

Other than that, please write an email to the shop where you got it and point them to the thread you've already posted. If they are a decent company, they will replace the board.

Maybe you can also find a friend with soldering skills who can replace the bad capacitor. It is not that hard if you've done some SMD soldering before.

• Upload doesn't work? Do a loop-back test.
• There's absolutely NO excuse for not having an ISP!
• Your AVR needs a brain surgery? Use the online FUSE calculator.
My projects: RGB LED matrix, RGB LED ring, various ATtiny gadgets...
• Microsoft is not the answer. It is the question, and the answer is NO!

Arduino rocks
View Profile

thank you,madworm
I've already send a message to the company and also to admin of this forum(Massimo Banzi and another one)..

unfortunately i've never replace smd components smiley-sad (just normal components)
however if the company(smartprojects) not replace the board,i will try to replace the capacitor! :-[
  and i hope  the capacitors is the problem but if it's a different problem....i don't know what will i do... :'(

i've just seen your site and the projects with led dot matrix ..WOW!!
i made the circuit for thegame tetris..i made a led dot matrix homemade if you want i will show to you my project(but it isn' finish,i'm programming the last function.. :o )
P.s= this is made with a PIC microcontroller
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 03:25:38 am by Fex12 » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hello all,

This is supposed to contain the images for a quick and dirty Arduio MEGA fix (the cap issue, not allowing sketches to be uploaded via bootloader after the first one is taken) but this forum will not let me post links to outside sites (where the pics are) until I do a normal post so...

Here's my normal post, fix to follow!

-Mike

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Again and finally for the dirty fix:

Hope this helps!

-Mike

Arduino rocks
View Profile

hi there everyone, i just bought a atmega1280, and i seem to be getting the same 'problem uploading to board' problem

i was wondering if the problem was still existent.
with the new batches
the serial on the back is MO10324

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: