Go Down

Topic: FTDI chip dead? (Read 675 times) previous topic - next topic

Solidacid

about 30 minutes ago i was playing with my arduino and a radio-link i recently bought, suddently my pc went "bling-blong" as if i had disconnected my arduino.
the PWR LED and the LED connected to pin 13 was off.

now my arduino won't react to me plugging it into my PC, however, when i power my arduino through the barrel plug it runs my sketch just fine.
is my FTDI chip dead? can i fix it? can i get it fixed?  :'(

Leon Heller

Apr 21, 2010, 09:02 pm Last Edit: Apr 21, 2010, 09:03 pm by leon_heller Reason: 1
If you are handy with a soldering iron you could replace it. Chip Quik is very good stuff for removing chips without damaging the board:

http://www.chipquikinc.com/
Leon Heller
G1HSM

Solidacid

i just found out it isn't my FTDI chip thats dead, it's the USB port in my G19 keyboard. good news for my arduino :D
bad news for my keyboard though, i'm gonna have to open it up to see if i can fix it.  :-/

cr0sh

it's the USB port in my G19 keyboard

That bites - I hope you can fix it, because if you paid anywhere near what I am seeing them advertised for...

You coulda bought two Unicomp "Model M" buckling spring keyboards (they double as weapons) for that price; and it would be likely you would pass them on to your grandchildren.

Nothing beats an original Model M, though - except maybe the original XT keyboard (solid aluminum shell, weighs a ton, and buckling spring - who couldn't like that?).

;D

/I love my Model M and Unicomp keyboards...!
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Grumpy_Mike

In general keyboards tend to have a lower current capacity on any external port than one direc5tly connected to the computer. My Mac Mini keyboard will shut down if I try and connect an Arduino to it. Then it requires a reboot to get it to work again.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy