Go Down

Topic: FTDI chip dead? (Read 606 times) previous topic - next topic

Solidacid

about 30 minutes ago i was playing with my arduino and a radio-link i recently bought, suddently my pc went "bling-blong" as if i had disconnected my arduino.
the PWR LED and the LED connected to pin 13 was off.

now my arduino won't react to me plugging it into my PC, however, when i power my arduino through the barrel plug it runs my sketch just fine.
is my FTDI chip dead? can i fix it? can i get it fixed?  :'(

Leon Heller

Apr 21, 2010, 09:02 pm Last Edit: Apr 21, 2010, 09:03 pm by leon_heller Reason: 1
If you are handy with a soldering iron you could replace it. Chip Quik is very good stuff for removing chips without damaging the board:

http://www.chipquikinc.com/
Leon Heller
G1HSM

Solidacid

i just found out it isn't my FTDI chip thats dead, it's the USB port in my G19 keyboard. good news for my arduino :D
bad news for my keyboard though, i'm gonna have to open it up to see if i can fix it.  :-/

cr0sh

it's the USB port in my G19 keyboard

That bites - I hope you can fix it, because if you paid anywhere near what I am seeing them advertised for...

You coulda bought two Unicomp "Model M" buckling spring keyboards (they double as weapons) for that price; and it would be likely you would pass them on to your grandchildren.

Nothing beats an original Model M, though - except maybe the original XT keyboard (solid aluminum shell, weighs a ton, and buckling spring - who couldn't like that?).

;D

/I love my Model M and Unicomp keyboards...!
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Grumpy_Mike

In general keyboards tend to have a lower current capacity on any external port than one direc5tly connected to the computer. My Mac Mini keyboard will shut down if I try and connect an Arduino to it. Then it requires a reboot to get it to work again.

Go Up