Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: PC PCU and common ground  (Read 774 times)
Wigan, UK
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Good afternoon,
I'm planning on powering my arduino from the 12v rail of a PC power supply.  I'll be powering other stuff (just a servo, intially) from the 5v rail.

To have a common ground will I need to use the same ground pin, on the same power chain from the PSU?  

I know from experience that the different power lines [by lines I mean the physical branches of power leads coming out of the PSU] coming out of a PSU are somehow separated (if I suddenly add load on one, something else on that line might stop working. Doesn't happen to devices on other lines) but I've no idea whether that's just because of serial/parallel difference or because there's something more complicated going on. And, more importantly, whether that means the grounds are on different lines aren't common.

Thanks. I hope this makes sense, I seem to have rambled a bit.

DeKalb, IL USA
KB9SXU
View Profile

The grounds should all be common.  If they were not, I would think there would a lot of problems inside your computer.

If the power lines are somehow separately regulated or fused, it would most likely be on the positive side.

Jeff K - JKDevices.com - home of the MegaMini

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

All grounds on a PC power supply are common.

For why you need common grounds look here:-
http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Tutorial/Power_Supplies.html

Wigan, UK
God Member
View Profile

I've read that page, grumpy mike, that's why I knew to ask smiley

I wasn't sure it needed it inside a PC as the parts that are powered separately could quite easily cope with separate power supplies (presumably by sharing ground via the connecting cable, or isolating the communication cable. I dunno.  

Anyway, thanks for your answer smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: