Go Down

Topic: two power supplies in EAGLE? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

halley

How do you specify two separate power supplies in EAGLE?

I tried something like this schematic, but when I play with the board layout, I can't seem to make it recognize the arrows as two separate supplies (VDD for 5V and VMM for 12V motor supply).

I understand about naming nets, but the warning I get isn't about the net-- it's about two different nets connecting to the (common) supply.

westfw

You have to use two DIFFERENT "Vdd" symbols, since the special "supply" components cause a net to be named after them.  That's why the "supply" libraries have so many components that pretty much look the same.

(I don't see a VMM, but there's a "+12V")

halley

Jan 20, 2009, 04:52 am Last Edit: Jan 20, 2009, 04:54 am by halley Reason: 1
Thanks, westfw.

I am sure I'm doing a bunch of things wrong, but so far the "Rules Check" features have been appeased.

Up to 8 of these boards will be able to ride the same i2c bus.  (Up to 16 if you use the pcf8574a variant on half of them.)  This one doesn't do a separate latching step, but maybe a later design will.  Yes, I know I'm not putting in room for a real heat sink on each Q0-Q7 package, I don't need that much dissipation.  I may add a power jack alternative to the +12V pins of the cable header.  The M hookups are at the right pitch for a block of screw terminals, or they can be soldered directly.

westfw

It looks pretty good to me, not that I have a lot of experience with motor drivers.   Since you have lots of room, I'd make the "power" traces to the motors thicker...

While you may not need heatsinking, you can get a little "for free" by using copper "pours" on the PCB:

halley

Yup, I was looking into the different options for pours and polygons for just this purpose.  Are solid pours are better than hatched ones for heat?  I should block the soldermask under the transistors as well, I imagine.  That will come back from the board maker all tinned up like all other vias and pads, won't it?

I just wanted to get all the traces routed first.  Sometimes it was hard to get EAGLE happy with new vias I had to introduce, such as those under the IC.  It refused to see them as part of the net I was linking for a while.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy