Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Stupid breadboards!  (Read 1664 times)
North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Mine have double sided tape that I can peel off temporarily and I could just cut through the metal strip.
Mine all seem to be moulded into the plastic but mine have a break anyway smiley

Mowcius

Western New York, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

You could always just break the row yourself, at least on some breadboards.  Mine have double sided tape that I can peel off temporarily and I could just cut through the metal strip.
As in Reply # 9.

Don

Western New York, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

As far as I know, that's how they originally were.
I am still using some of my original EL breadboards from the 1980's (or maybe earlier).  They do not have the break.  Also the horizontal strips are less than 0.3 inches from the vertical strips and more than 0.1 inch apart.

I remember a lot of head scratching the first time I encountered a strip with the break.

Don
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 09:02:52 am by floresta » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

How do you determine that there is or is not a break?  Also, what markings on the breadboard suggest one or the other that caused the confusion in the first place?

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

my radio shack bread board has no marking on it, its just a white breadboard on a black metal plate

my other one has red and blue lines on the bus bar, but as indicated above, just cause they run all the way across doesn't mean their connected (although mine is)

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Doesnt your RS board have a BREAK? down the outside rails though?  (Im pretty sure it does).. also marked with a "W"

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

nope, the only marking rows and they are not printed, rather moulded in the plastic

also the bus sections are all evenly spaced so there is no indication that the breaks were there

Manchester, New Hampshire
Edison Member
Propmaker
View Profile

So last night I discovered that the Sparkfun board I bought didn't actually have a break on the voltage rails like I thought.

I was certain it had a break... I could have sworn the reason I knew it had a break was because it caused one of my other circuits to fail.

But lo and behold my AtMega was pulling power from the voltage regulator.  I thought I must be going mad!

Then just now, I discovered exactly the opposite.  I went to connect a switch to one of the positive voltage rails and got nothing.  So the Sparkfun board DOES have a break!  

But how can this be?

ONE SET OF RAILS HAS A BREAK, AND THE OTHER SET DOES NOT.  

ON THE SAME BOARD.

>smiley-sad
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 04:41:35 pm by scswift » Logged

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

my "other" bread board is was bought from sparkfun, it does not have the break

:o

with the elenco line I think there is a product id difference tween the 2, but not sure

no big deal carefully peel back the liner, solder or cut to your preference, do your self a favour and mount it to a backing material if not already provided, such as a sanded down chunk of plywood with the krylon touch  smiley-grin

I rarely use the split rails so I prefer no split, and in a pinch I have it worked out to 2 bb's and 4 possible rails anyway

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1268626170/0
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 09:14:52 pm by Osgeld » Logged

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

I sure hope your workbench has grown since then...

I am planning a massive one still - project for next year.

My current space is about twice the size of that at least and it's nowhere near large enough.  smiley-wink

Mowcius

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

I sure hope your workbench has grown since then...

no just the amount of crap on it has

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: