Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: How to burn a Arduino Bootloader  (Read 1322 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,

I want to burn my own Arduino Bootloarder on a Atmega Chip. Is it possible to to that, without any additional hardware? Under the Burn Bootloader option in the Arduino Software, I read "Arduino as ISP". How does it works? Do I only have to replace the Duemilanove Chip, with a chip without Bootloader? Or do I have to do more?

Greetings
Philipp

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Is it possible to to that, without any additional hardware?

Sorry no.

How does it works?
You connect one of many different types of programmer. The list of those supported is in the menu.

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

no you dont need "extra" hardware, you will need at bare minimum a functioning arduino

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP

Belgium
Arduino rocks
View Profile

if you have an Arduino

http://www.geocities.jp/arduino_diecimila/bootloader/bitbang_w_ide_en.html

Lancashire, UK
Edison Member
View Profile

Another arduino for use as an ISP is extra hardware in my book, and butchering an existing arduino to make it work as an ISP leaves me cold, never mind a noob.  I'd go with GMs answer.  

USBtiny progammers are reasonable cheaply available on Ebay and are a simple solution.  

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USBtinyISP-AVR-ISP-Atmel-Programmer-Arduino-bootloader-/170474128004?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b10cc284

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

totally depends, when working with something on a breadboard it makes more since to add 4 wires to your arduino to your breadboard

I mean if your going to burn a extra chip or 2, and own an arduino and a breadboard, would it not be just as silly to buy a dedicated piece of hardware?

now if your going to do this on a daily basis then yea it might make more since, but if your doing that you probally already know how to make your own out of any avr and some bits of gum
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 09:19:16 am by Osgeld » Logged

Lancashire, UK
Edison Member
View Profile

I suspect that he's asking how to do it, means he isn't in the AVR and bits of gum or the Arduino on a breadboard league smiley-wink  

There's always AWOL's toggle switches and a great sense of rhythm :

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1274602270/9

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

never know, it took me nearly 15 min to stumble across the tutorial page earilier, where it clearly explains how to burn a chip or 2 with your arduino

which leaves us right back to last post, if your doing a few chips every once in a while there is nothing wrong with using your arduino, no extra crap to buy and let sit around 99% of the time

(which is all these programmers seem to amount to for me, more crap i dont use all that much laying around for more money, the 3 chips I have burned got the 4 wire+arduino treatment, and its fine)

and its not like you have to modify your arduino (unlike that bitbang mode) you just plug 3 wires into its spi pins (+1 for reset) and plug it into the spi pins of the other chip, takes seconds to assemble / remove
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 09:48:37 am by Osgeld » Logged

Belgium
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Do I only have to replace the Duemilanove Chip, with a chip without Bootloader? Or do I have to do more?

So he owns a Duemilanove. No extra hardware needed, just replace the chip and follow the link I earlier posted.

And for the record, I think "the AWOL's toggle switches and a great sense of rhythm" wouold be faster than buying a programmer from ebay  ;D

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

you dont even need the bitbang method anymore

its simple people

A) upload sketch
B) plug 4 wires into 4 pins of the arduno
C) hook up other chip
D) burn

again

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 09:50:41 am by Osgeld » Logged

Lancashire, UK
Edison Member
View Profile

Scuse the ol' skepticism, but that looks like the option of a  second arduino, or a breadboarded arduino.  The simple no oscillator breadboard means messing with the fuses, which is particularly noob unfriendly.   Just buy a pre-bootloaded 328 from Sparkfun or dare I say Ebay......  

« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 10:12:53 am by stephen_t » Logged

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

yea but that was not the question

the op clearly states they have an arduino, they have a non bootloaded chip

the only thing that might be missing is the crystal, and yes without it you have to monkey with fuses, but you would have to do that with your programmer (an unneeded 3rd piece of hardware) too as they are the exact same thing (an avr with avrisp burned onto it)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 10:15:22 am by Osgeld » Logged

Belgium
Arduino rocks
View Profile

its simple people

A) upload sketch
B) plug 4 wires into 4 pins of the arduno
C) hook up other chip
D) burn

As far as we know, he has a Duemilanove and a second chip, no second arduino, no breadboard (that's additional hardware, right  ;D ). true wires can be seen as hardware too...

Anyway, I think he has enough info to get him started...

Lancashire, UK
Edison Member
View Profile

Osgeld, other than you don't need to touch the fuses with a USBtiny, I'll concede since you have a higher post count.....     smiley-wink
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 10:47:08 am by stephen_t » Logged

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

ok fine whatever, op go buy a 30$ usbtiny and toss it in your sock bin when your done

yes ok we dont know if there is a breadboard on hand, and that 15cent (3 bucks mailed) crystal is too much to handle

Only consume dont learn is the vibe I am getting here from GM's first post where he didnt even bother reading the entire question before saying PROGRAMMER!!!!! to people being a smartass cause they disagree

fine from now on I am only going to post answers that can be linked to sparkfun boards and ebay links with msrp prices, since that is all we think of people's intelligence
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 10:56:05 am by Osgeld » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: