Go Down

Topic: Serial Seetron Display (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

chickman

I am new to Arduino but have worked with Pic Basic and Basic Stamp quite a bit so the problem I am having is puzzling but no-doubt due to opperator error.  I am simply trying to get a Seetron serial LCD display to work on an Arduino NG. I have the display set to 9600 baud and am using the following code.

void setup() {
 Serial.begin(9600);      
}

void loop () {

Serial.print("Hello ");

delay(1000);      
}

The text is properly echoed back through the Serial Monitor and the display does respond but with gobeldegook.  It's as if the baud rate is not set properly or the signal is inverted (or not inverted, whichever is appropriate).  I have tried this on three different Seetron serial displays and they all act the same.  The red wire (+5v) is plugged into 5V, the black wire(ground) is plugged into G, and the white wire (ser) is plugged into pin 1, TX.  Any help would be appreciated.

Craig

rogwabbit

Maybe try clearing it by sending it the clear screen command:

int Instr = 254;
int CLR = 1;

void loop () {

Serial.print(Instr, BYTE);
Serial.print(CLR, BYTE);
Serial.print("Hello ");
delay(1000);      
}

kg4wsv

Looking at the first spec sheet I stumbled accross at their web site, it looks like the LCD expects RS232 signals, not TTL.  see this thread: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1171063406

-j

chickman

Thanks for the response.  I tried it and no difference.  I must be doing something very simple wrong.

Craig

chickman

It does say that it expects RS232 levels but I have used it on the Basic Stamp and with PIC chips at TTL levels without problems, though this may be the problem.

Go Up