Go Down

Topic: Tools -> Serial Port greyed out on Linux (Read 27 times) previous topic - next topic

lesto

Jul 26, 2010, 01:19 am Last Edit: Jul 26, 2010, 01:21 am by lestofante Reason: 1
because Tools > Serial Port is gray i can't see the selection.. with sudo power i can confirm serial port is /dev/ttyS0
tryng to upload without sudo power:
Code: [Select]
Binary sketch size: 902 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum)

processing.app.SerialException: Serial port 'COM1' not found.  Did you select the right one from the Tools > Serial Port menu?
     at processing.app.Serial.<init>(Serial.java:153)
     at processing.app.Serial.<init>(Serial.java:76)
     at processing.app.debug.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:73)
     at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:83)
     at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:55)
     at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1498)
     at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1465)
     at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1420)
     at processing.app.Editor$46.run(Editor.java:2219)
     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
processing.app.debug.RunnerException: Serial port 'COM1' not found.  Did you select the right one from the Tools > Serial Port menu?
     at processing.app.debug.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:93)
     at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:83)
     at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:55)
processing.app.debug.RunnerException: Serial port 'COM1' not found.  Did you select the right one from the Tools > Serial Port menu?
     at processing.app.debug.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:93)

/dev/ttyS0 with sudo power:

Binary sketch size: 902 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum)

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

seems a permission problem.. maybe ubuntu is more "user friendly" with USB/serial permission. I also don't need to use sudo power to mount devices, maybe it's a driver restriction, i don't know.
sei nuovo? non sai da dove partire? leggi qui: http://playground.arduino.cc/Italiano/Newbie

pluggy

Jul 26, 2010, 02:49 pm Last Edit: Jul 26, 2010, 02:53 pm by stephen_t Reason: 1
Part of the problem (and part of its appeal on the other side of the coin) is that there are hundreds of distros of Linux.  Many linux gurus scoff at Ubuntu because its popular (just as many microcontroller experts scoff at Arduino because its popular).  Its popular because it's pretty easy to live with (I've played with quite a few of the major distros and Ubuntu is probably the easiest).  Popular means its well supported, which tends to help its popularity.   You'll get a lot more joy on forums if you are using something (no insult intended here) thats a little less obscure.  

yakov

I've changed the user groups, but still not working.
In console is showing the code:
check_group_uucp(): error testing lock file creation Error details:Permission deniedcheck_lock_status: No permission to create lock file.
please see: How can I use Lock Files with rxtx? in INSTALL

impact

I just opened terminal, logged in as root (su) and then just run ./arduino ... it's working great

caerdu

Hello,

better late than never!

"Others" need write access to /var/lock

via (example)

chmod o+rwx /var/lock

The user starting the IDE has to a member of the following groups:

dialout
uucp

(OpenSuSE 11.3)

Best regards

caerdu