Go Down

Topic: Random failure to upload code. (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Brian Neltner

I can't figure out where avrdude 5.04 is installed; the binary is nowhere on my system. So, the only way I can think of to make it run the 5.04-arduino version that I assume is packaged with the arduino software would be to get rid of the previously installed version, right?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm an ubuntu user after all ;-) It's been a few years since I really had to use the command line and shell scripting hard.

Coding Badly

Sep 23, 2010, 05:10 am Last Edit: Sep 23, 2010, 05:13 am by bcook Reason: 1
I'm an ubuntu user

I'll try to help as much as I can but someone with Linux experience may have to step in.

I can't figure out where avrdude 5.04 is installed

I have Windows Vista.  My current Arduino "root" is "C:\Arduino\arduino-0019".  AVRDUDE is under that directory in "C:\Arduino\arduino-0019\hardware\tools\avr\bin"

So, the only way I can think of to make it run the 5.04-arduino version that I assume is packaged with the arduino software would be to get rid of the previously installed version, right?

I wouldn't think so.  AVRDUDE seems to run fine from wherever it's located.  I assume it can be copied where you like and run from there.

Sorry if this is a stupid question

I think they're good questions.  Unfortunately, I don't have good answers!

I'm getting a bit concerned that we may be drifting from the original problem.  When I mentioned the difference in versions, I assumed you were using Windows and switching versions would be trivial.  Before making any potentially dramatic changes to your computer, you way want to spend a bit of time with Google to try and determine if there are any relevant issues with version 5.10.

Have you tried a different USB port on your computer?  Have you had any other USB devices misbehave?  Can you test with a USB hub in the middle?

Don't forget about Grumpy Mike's suggestion.  He occasionally gets it right.   ;)

thexeno

bradley219

A lot of questions here.

do you know if I can make it send the debug output to a file?

If you run avrdude on the command line, this is simple, just pipe the output from avrdude into a file:
Code: [Select]
avrdude [your usual flags, files, etc] > output_file.txt

I can't figure out where avrdude 5.04 is installed

I have Windows Vista.  My current Arduino "root" is "C:\Arduino\arduino-0019".  AVRDUDE is under that directory in "C:\Arduino\arduino-0019\hardware\tools\avr\bin"

Arduino's root directory on linux usually installs into:
PATH/share/arduino-0019

On ubuntu, you'd probably find it in:
/usr/share/arduino-0019/hardware/tools/

I'm an ubuntu user after all Wink It's been a few years since I really had to use the command line

This seems backwards to me.

HAve u a linux OS?
Yes

thexeno

ok, maybe you need to take a look here: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1282403628 at my last post.
Please tell me if have solved. :)

Go Up