Go Down

Topic: Arduino with parallel programmer (thoughts??) (Read 861 times) previous topic - next topic

Hello world !!

First of all, hi I'm new here. But I have lots of interests in the arduino. I've read a lot of articles, wikis and watch a bunch of YT videos.

I want to create my own board. It was finished and I've one little problem. The Atmega368 I ordered didn't came with any bootloader.

I've read an article on how to create a simple parallel programmer (arduino.cc) .

It really interested me to build one, but one question floating in my mind, I don't have a parallel port and can I use a USB to RS232 with serial to DE25 cable ?

What I'm trying to say is, I have a USB to DE9 port. And it has a DE9 to parallel converter. This this work like a normal parallel port on the pc ?

Any suggestion would be great for me.

Thank you.

And it has a DE9 to parallel converter.

I think you will find that this converter does not bring out the parallel pins but puts the serial connections on a 25 Way socket. Please check your data sheet on this.

To be honest, I don't understand. But I did find this : http://www.pcemporium.com.my/lelong/usbtoparallel2.jpg

I don't think it directly connects the pin to the de25. I must have some kind of USB to serial IC or something there.

That is a USB to parallel convertor but with the centronics type printer connector.  I would have serious doubts whether a USB to parallel convertor would work with a parallel programmer. They don't work on real parallel ports half the time.  

It would probably be easier to buy a USB programmer or even buy a ready built arduino (you always wind up needing more than one ;) )  and use that to burn a bootloader onto your 328.

Well, ok thanks....

But that's the problem....I need some electronics adventure.
Thanks guys, I might consider buying one usb programmer. But it is really hard to get one here in malaysia. This sucks.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131