Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Uno USB invisible to OS X  (Read 3657 times)
Toronto
Arduino is teh r0xx0r
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Just got my Uno after finding semi-permanent projects for two previous Duemilanoves. Upgraded to Arduino 0020. After rebooting, and power cycling the Uno, there's still no serial port for the Uno.

The board is noted under Linux, which reports an unknown device with ID 2341:0001. On my MacBook (10.6.4), System Profiler lists:
Code:
Communication Device:

Product ID:      0x0001
  Vendor ID:      0x2341
  Version:       0.00
  Speed:      Up to 12 Mb/sec
  Location ID:      0x24110000
  Current Available (mA):      500
  Current Required (mA):      Unknown (Device has not been configured)
There are no /dev/tty* or /dev/cu* devices that correspond to the device.

Please let me know what I'm doing wrong.[/font]

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I have a similar problem with my new Uno board.

I'm using Ubuntu 10.4 32bit and only the ttyS0 looks up under the IDE.

After connecting the Uno to the Laptop this is the message of dmesg:
Code:
[  142.968435] lib80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'CCMP'
[  143.205626] padlock: VIA PadLock not detected.
[  143.240799] lib80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'TKIP'
[  172.148099] usb 4-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
[  172.350490] usb 4-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[  172.601905] cdc_acm 4-1:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
[  172.609577] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
[  172.609585] cdc_acm: v0.26:USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters

I tried to link the ttyACM0 to ttyUSB0 and now the device shows up, but I'm not able to program the board:
Code:
Binary sketch size: 960 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xf9
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Hope anybody can help...

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

I am also running 10.6.4.

Whenever I connected the UNO, I would get a message about "New network interface has been connected but not configured."  I kept hitting cancel or ignoring it.  Finally I clicked configure and was brought to the Network panel of System Preferences.  Clicked "Apply" and closed preferences.

After that my profiler says then when Uno is connected:
Code:
Arduino Uno:

Product ID:      0x0001
  Vendor ID:      0x2341
  Version:       0.00
  Serial Number:      649383233313512172C0
  Speed:      Up to 12 Mb/sec
  Manufacturer:      Arduino (www.arduino.cc)
  Location ID:      0xfd340000
  Current Available (mA):      500
  Current Required (mA):      100

And a new /dev/tty.usbmodemXXXXXX device shows up (with a /dev/cu counterpart.)

You might re-connect it and check System Preferences -> Network to see if you have a Arduino Uno interface listed.

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

Note that the the Arduino Uno shows up on Macs as a /dev/tty.usbmodemXXXX instead of a /dev/tty.usbserial-YYYYYY as it did with the FTDI-based Arduinos.

Forum Administrator
Cambridge, MA
Faraday Member
View Profile

scruss: weird.  The correct USB VID and PID are showing up, which means that the ATmega8U2 on the Uno should be running the right firmware (that's what supplies those IDs).  I don't know why you'd get them, but not the "Arduino Uno" name - both should be in the same USB metadata.

Do you have an AVR ISP?  You could trying reburning the firmware onto the ATmega8U2 (it comes in the Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/firmwares/ directory, with instructions in the readme).  

What do you see in the Console application when you plug in the board?  I get:

10/2/10 4:54:49 PM      kernel      AppleUSBCDCACMData: Version number - 4.0.1, Input buffers 8, Output buffers 16
10/2/10 4:57:07 PM      kernel      AppleUSBCDCACMData: Version number - 4.0.1, Input buffers 8, Output buffers 16

Toronto
Arduino is teh r0xx0r
View Profile

I don't get anything in the console.

I've been using a hub up to now to protect my Mac. When I directly connected the Uno to the computer, I got the Network Preferences dialogue like everyone else. This worked fine.

When I plugged the Uno back into the hub, I got the same Network Preferences dialogue, and a new Uno USB serial device. I switch to it in the programming interface, but got 'avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding' timeouts.

Basically, the thing doesn't work unless it's directly connected, and I now have to lop off the excess non-functional "Arduino Uno 2" and "Arduino Uno 3" devices when I start up. Frustrating.

Incidentally, a friend who is a USB developer at Apple recommended I install the USB debug kit, http://developer.apple.com/hardwaredrivers/download/usbdebug.html. I haven't, yet.

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

For what it is worth, my Arduino UNO had only been connected through a USB 2.0 Hub until your most recent post.  (For the same reason you post, to protect my Mac while I do stupid---er try different things.)  

However, when I switched to a built-in USB port, I got the "Network Interface" dialog again.  And a new usbmodem device.

Each time I plug into a new Port, the same thing occurs.  Whether that port is on my Hub or built-in.  (Which from an implementation point makes sense.  At least one if not all Ports on a Mac laptop are connected through a Hub chip.)

It is rather frustrating that I have to change the device I'm using, depending on which Port I'm connected to.  Reminds me of using USB devices in Windows.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 08:38:26 pm by cmiyc » Logged

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Toronto
Arduino is teh r0xx0r
View Profile

On the Console, I'm now getting:

10-10-12 21:46:17       kernel      USBF:      64159.957      AppleUSBEHCI[0x8143000]::Found a transaction which hasn't moved in 5 seconds on bus 0x26, timing out! (Addr: 6, EP: 0)
10-10-12 21:46:29       kernel      0        0 AppleUSBCDC: start - initDevice failed

Bus 0x26 is the hub I use.

Directly connected, I get:

10-10-12 21:49:49       kernel      AppleUSBCDCACMData: Version number - 4.0.1, Input buffers 8, Output buffers 16

I no longer get new network devices (what would be the settings if I did?). Only direct connection works; through the hub doesn't. So the only way I can get an Uno to work along with my two other Arduino boards is to have two USB cables, and make sure I never draw any current that could come close to doing damage to my Mac ...

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

and make sure I never draw any current that could come close to doing damage to my Mac ...

The Mac USB ports have resettable-fuses (similar to the one on the Arduino itself.)  You'll get an error dialog about excessive current draw and then power is shut off to the port.  Sometimes a power cycle will be necessary to restore power to the port.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: