Go Down

Topic: I received my arduino Uno today... :( (Read 5129 times) previous topic - next topic

macegr

Osgeld is grumpier than Grumpy "Sunshine" Mike these days.

Sparkfun is good for breakout boards and original products, why shouldn't they make it worth their time to sell simple cheap logic ICs that could be purchased at a real distributor? They're not a wholesale chip distributor like Digikey. Plus, they get some of the rare chips out there for people to buy. They are barely making any money on some of the more expensive chips like the MAX6675, too.

You have to give them credit for practically inventing the current breed of small electronic startups. Used to be you had to have a brick and mortar store and send out a paper catalog. A lot of people (including myself) ended up starting their businesses because Sparkfun proved it was possible, in a few years, to go from one guy soldering in a bedroom to over 100 employees. After hanging out with Nate, Tim and others for a few hours after Maker Faire last week, I'm even more convinced they have their hearts in the right place. The Antimov contest is original and awesome, most contest robots end up destroying themselves anyway. Sure people make mistakes, but as shown in the case of the counterfeit chips Sparkfun does listen to concerns and correct the mistakes when people raise an objection.

Also, I bought some snake oil tonic from that VW bus guy, the stuff WORKS, gave me the strength of ten men and X ray vision!
Unique RGB LED Modules and Arduino shields: http://www.macetech.com/store

beige

Must not be that be of an issue if no one has noticed.  

whats .01 of an inch between friends?

I had considered this, but if you use enough force to push a shield onto my mega2560 as it was you would have ended up with bent pins.

mowcius

I would say that 0.01" is a problem.

It needs to be sorted. Full stop.

Apart from that, sounds like the issue will be resolved soon enough after people send back their bad boards and hopefully receive something in return that looks like it was made by arduino.

It is a shame that a new product release has turned out like this but these things happen and unfortunately I think this will be staining the arduino team's record for a while to come.

Mowcius

pluggy

I'm reserving judgement on the quality of the boards until I see one for myself.  I'm prepared to accept "the man"'s explanation that the few people making a lot of noise about the poor quality are the exception, not the rule (at least for the time being).  
http://pluggy.is-a-geek.com/index.html

mowcius

I'm reserving judgement on the quality of the boards until I see one for myself.  I'm prepared to accept "the man"'s explanation that the few people making a lot of noise about the poor quality are the exception, not the rule (at least for the time being).

Well I suppose that the thing is, I haven't seen a pic of a good one yet (apart from on the arduino site front page)

On that note, anyone got some pics of a good one?

Mowcius

macegr

If you take a picture from a distance, they all look good. It's a lot easier to zoom in on a tiny defect than it is to show that no defects exist.
Unique RGB LED Modules and Arduino shields: http://www.macetech.com/store

mowcius

It's a lot easier to zoom in on a tiny defect than it is to show that no defects exist.

Yeah but I could take a pic of my duemilanove in super macro and apart from a bit of dust on it, it'd look perfect ;)

Senso

And there is a little bug in the new bootloader:
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1282214890/15

Osgeld

You have to give them credit for practically inventing the current breed of small electronic startups.

see I am old enough to remember this "current breed" of startups from the last time during the pc revolution, (thats how we get companies like jameco and apple) and I am told the same about the ham radio boom (allied? radio shack? heathkit?)

there is nothing new about mail order electronics, for every niche hobby market there has been someone, and SF surely wasn't the first to do it on line (jameco had online ordering and a illustrated catalog before the 90's )
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=unread;boards=2,3,4,5,67,6,7,8,9,10,11,66,12,13,15,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,86,87,89,1;ALL

robint91

Hyperjer:

no apology needed here!

http://www.on8rth.be/?p=169

westfw

mowcius

I ...  forget it.  Trolls!

Hehe well it has all got a bit out of hand  ;)

Mark Bramwell

I got my UNO this week.  Same overall 'quality' issues.  

I also had the shark tooth sticking out.  I think it must be where the boards are split apart.  It is small, thin, and you do not notice it until it cuts you.

The headers are not straight.  Some quick resoldering fixes the problem. Last year I made a bunch of KIT arduino boards. I put the headers into a protoboard to keep them straight while I soldered them.  How does the factory do it?  Why can't they be straight if done by a factory?

The reset button is rotated about 5 or degrees.  It is still on the pads (barely) but maybe it shifted during cooling. I'll probably leave it as-is unless it starts to bother me (I didn't want a kit!!) or fails to work.

Not up to the build standards of seeedstudio or other China brands.  I paid a premium price to support the project but I think I'll stick with the HK brands for most of my boards until further notice.

My previous models of official arduino boards seemed more solid.

mowcius

Oct 09, 2010, 11:26 am Last Edit: Oct 09, 2010, 11:30 am by mowcius Reason: 1
Massimo has stated that any boards with quality issues can be returned to the seller and a replacement/refund provided.

I do have to say I am amazed that a PCB company could get this manufacturing so wrong on these boards. I just don't know how they did it!
I don't blame the arduino team for this and I know they must be really annoyed at how bad a job this company has done in producing the boards. Unfortunately, unless they quality checked the boars themselves, as they are in non-transparent packaging, there is no way they could have seen all the issues.

Suggestion: Go back to transparent packaging for future boards.

I think a lot of people will be unhappy to start with. Hopefully all the boards being produced now are up to that perfect standard we were used to in the old boards.

Mowcius

Go Up