Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Author Topic: I received my arduino Uno today... :(  (Read 4575 times)
London, Ontario, Canada
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Overall I still gives 2 thumbs up for the Arduino team. Though I had a less than perfect product delivered, I consider it a temporary problem and I am sure things will be fixed in the supply channel fairly quickly.  

I am simply stating that they have occurred to add creditability to the original poster (not an isolated incident).  I am sure most of us have the required skills to fix the anomalies.  In my case, I was able to apply some heat and give things a yank in the right direction.  smiley

I can't wait to see what they give us next !!

smiley-grin go team go  smiley-grin

Greenwood, Indiana
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Based on the fanboi dogpile on Moogie for his blog post I will be viewing my recent purchase of an Uno and Mega with a critical eye.

I despise the fanboi dogile in that blog post almost enough to return the product unopened and use the extra money to buy non-arduino branded boards sans fanaticism.

If it was designed by man it can be repaired by man.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Regarding the spacing between the top left and middle (or right) female headers, here's what I found from their design files:

[glow]Mega1280 (0.15")[/glow]
Mega2560(0.16")
Uno(0.16")
2009 deumilanove (0.16")
Ethernet shield V5 (0.16")
Ethernet shield original (0.16")
Diecimila (0.16")
Serial S3V3 (0.16")

I'm designing a shield and now I know what I want, 0.16".

I know if I machine something on a mill, I can get 5mil or 0.005" accuracy. I don't know if that can be translated to the PCB drill hole and soldering accuracy.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 12:30:00 pm by liuzengqiang » Logged

Left Coast, USA
Sometimes I just can't help myself.
View Profile

For What It's Worth:

I see 150 mils (0.15 inch) spacing between the headers in question on the Eagle .brd file for the Mega2560 (same as the .brd file for the Mega1280).

My Observation And Opinion On Whether It Makes A Difference:

I have Mega1280 and a Mega protoshield and a number of "regular" Arduino shields.  The springy nature of the pins makes the difference (0.010 inches) utterly irrelevant when plugging the boards together.  Really.

I mean, I had no idea that there was this Monstrous Discrepancy until I read about it here and decided to check it out on the drawing.

Just my two cents worth.  (See Footnote.)

Regards,

Dave

Footnote:
I know that Engineers want things to be absolutely perfect, but even though I just this morning read that the brand new Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge was off by almost 3/8 of an inch when the two halves met,  I'll still drive over it the first chance I get.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 02:25:45 pm by davekw7x » Logged

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Dave,

Not trying to make 0.01" seem significant. It's 1/3 the size of the pins by the way. If you solder your own shield, no big deal. The holes provide enough wiggle room. If you buy a pre-soldered shield, the odds may play against you a little bit, but you may just force it. I was just trying to see if the Arduino people have changed anything and the answer is no (almost not).

I don't know how you did it but my downloaded board is showing 0.16". You need to hold down the ALT when measuring. Showing the grid will make this very clear. The middle header is on the 0.05" grids and the left header is not, a bit to the left.

Left Coast, USA
View Profile

Set View->Grid resolution to "finest" and units to "mil"

Zoom the drawing until the pads marked "7" and "8" on the PWM row of headers are really big on the screen.

Click the "Mark" icon on the left tool bar (Second down on the right-hand column)

Place the cursor at the exact center of the hole in the pad marked "8" on the PWM header.  There is a big + that shows the center.

Left-click the mouse.  In the measurement window I read (R 0 0) (P 0 0).  These are rectangular and polar coordinates, respectively, of the reference point. (Actually there is a "degree" symbol on the second P coordinate, but I won't try to reproduce it here.)

Anyhow...

You can see those coordinate numbers change as you move the mouse (don't click it again; just move it around.)

So...

Move the cursor to the exact center of the hole in the pad marked "7" on the PWM header.

In the measurement window I read (R 150 0) (P 150 0)  
The (R x x) gives the rectangular coordinate of the point relative to the reference point.  150 means 150 mils (0.15 inches).

I get the same measurement with the Mega1280 as I do with the Mega2560.

Regards,

Dave
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 07:02:40 pm by davekw7x » Logged

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

I see 150 mils (0.15 inch) spacing between the headers in question on the Eagle .brd file for the Mega2560
the .BRD file currently downloadable from arduino.cc has apparently been fixed, and has the 160 mill separation.  The .brd file for the 2560 that was initially published had a 150mil separation like the old MEGA.

View Profile

The one I just unpacked from that tiny box is ..well...... PERFECT!

Now if I could just find that darn A->B USB cable... :smiley

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

The one I just unpacked from that tiny box is ..well...... PERFECT!
Glad to hear it.

I would love to see some pictures of it  smiley

Mowcius

View Profile

I would love to see some pictures of it

All I have here is a low-res web cam (will give it a try on something more hi-rez).

BTW, There are two "serial numbers" on the package.
One on the side with a bar-code and one on the top next to the quality seal stating the reseller web site URL and a different number under it.

I ordered it from a reseller in Italy 11 days ago.

You could never guess the size of the thing unless you hold it in your hand.

My first reaction was: "this envelope is empty". After that I tried to cut my finger off - no luck.

There was something that reminded me of "solder evaporation residue" barely noticeable close to the RESET-EN.
After touching it - it was like some thin layer of paste that could be smudged away easily. No smell or taste. pH neutral and obviously not poisonous (so far).

The silkscreen showing 5V next to the header is missing the bottom half of the number 5 -- smiley (Will this work with 0021?!?!)

All through hole components are close to the board, under a 90 degree angle.

The bottom side of the board is clean, all solder points OK, no flaws in the silk screen.

I guess it's time to plug it in. (if I see any Morse Code will let you know).

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

(if I see any Morse Code will let you know).
;D

I think this mystery has been solved now...  smiley-wink

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

I think this mystery has been solved now...  

Has it? Has anyone found the source code for the Morse?

View Profile

Mine blinked away, could be that the first blink was a bit longer.
Other than that it just blinks.

I must say a lot quicker than I expected. Delay is shorter than 1s.
..or I got the overclocked version  ;D

Did not connect the USB cable yet (arggggggh).

Left Coast, USA
View Profile

@westfw
the .BRD file currently downloadable from arduino.cc has apparently been fixed, and has the 160 mill separation

OK, I get it.

And now, for my last words on this thread (I promise):

I have already indicated that the 150 mil separation on the original Mega board (the 1280) presents no problem for me.  If other people say it's a problem for them, I won't argue.

A problem that I do have is with documentation.  The downloadable design file for the Mega2560 has the same name as the file that I downloaded on October 1 (when the world was young and I was still an Arduino Idealist).  When I unzip the current download file, the .brd and .sch files have the same names as the older one, but the current .brd file has a date of October 10, whereas the original one had a date of September 26.  (The .sch files have the same date, September 26, but the times are slightly different.)

I see no difference between the two schematic files (but I didn't look very hard).

The only difference that I observe between the two board files is that the "PWMH" header was nudged to the left 0.010 inches (10 mils) so that the separation is, indeed, 0.16 inches (160 mils).  I am quite sure that I wouldn't have noticed that if I hadn't been looking for the specific coordinates.

More important (to me, at least) is the following:

I see no indication of revision number on the schematics or the boards themselves.  So here are a few questions that I have.  (Since I won't be replying, you can consider them rhetorical, although I wouldn't mind seeing opinions of anyone who chooses to express them.)

•  Shouldn't there be something on the silkscreen (or copper) on the board to indicate which revision people are actually holding in their hot little hands?
  •  Shouldn't these revisions be documented somewhere?
  •  Shouldn't download file names be changed when the contents change?
Of course, I may be missing something.  It wouldn't be the first time (not even the first time today).

Regards,

Dave

Footnote:
-30-
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 10:50:29 am by davekw7x » Logged

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Has anyone found the source code for the Morse?

It is just the blink duration, it is not going to say Morse Code or anything
You will see that the number one is one dot (short flash) followed by four dashes (or long flash).
The ratio between a dot and a dash is 3 to 1 but the absolute time of a dot is not defined.

Note depending on where you start it could be saying 9 but one for UNO is much more likely.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Jump to: