Poll
Question: Troubleshooting of Arduino diecimila
connection - 18 (36.7%)
Troubleshooting - 31 (63.3%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
Author Topic: avrdude error  (Read 33696 times)
Forum Administrator
Cambridge, MA
Faraday Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

yeahdixon: apparently we screwed up and put the old NG bootloader on some of the Diecimila boards.  You'll need to press the reset button before uploading your sketch.  Or you can burn the Diecimila bootloader, but you'll need an AVRISP mkII or other hardware programmer.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

yeahdixon: apparently we screwed up and put the old NG bootloader on some of the Diecimila boards.  You'll need to press the reset button before uploading your sketch.  Or you can burn the Diecimila bootloader, but you'll need an AVRISP mkII or other hardware programmer.

If that is the solution...

I don't have a Diecimila board, i have a NG plus rev C. it has the same problem. I tried all my computers. and I still get the same error. when I use a older arduino programming environment v008. I get a error: no hardware found. this is a error that I had more sometimes.

but now the problem don't go away. even in hyper terminal the arduino sends nothing back, but it does receives data.
can i get a new chip for my arduino?

Forum Administrator
Cambridge, MA
Faraday Member
View Profile

Yea, you can buy them from a few different places, PCB Europe, Adafruit industries, Modern Device company, etc.

Resisty rocks
View Profile

Hi everybody!

This is the same error I am getting, but on a different setup. I am (for now...) running out of ideas as to what to try.

My board is an Arduino serial v2.0. I am experienced with electronics assembly and no problems putting it together, unless I am missing something invisible.

My main machine is a MDD G4 running OS 10.4.10. I've got a GeeThree serial port, so my dev is tty.serial. I have an old Dell workstation which I still use for x86-centric apps, so I put Arduino win 0009 on there. I made a parallel programmer out of an old Rat Shack RS232 tester which wasn't doing anything else, and used it to put the mega8 bootloader on the chip. Then I hook up my Arduino board to my mac, with a specially-made serial cable. The LED on pin 13 shows that the bootloader is installed, it keeps doing a quick succession of three blinks every so often. I put two more LEDs on there to monitor serial rx and tx. When I try uploading anything to the board I get that same error:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x00

The rx LED flashes so I know that my serial port and cable work at least this much, but I see no response from the board. I've tried both 9600 and 19200 baud over the past few days, with hundreds of funky timings between the reset and upload. I have yet to upload anything to my Arduino! As for my bootloader, it is the same AtMEGAboot.hex which comes with Arduino 0009, so I don't see how it could be mixed up. Any ideas what I should look for? Meanwhile I will try to dig up a regular 9-pin serial cable to see if my luck is any different on the Dell.

Thank you!
M

Forum Administrator
Cambridge, MA
Faraday Member
View Profile

Can you upload a program to the board from Windows or Linux using just a serial cable (no usb-to-serial converters)?  Some USB-to-serial (and possibly your GeeThree serial port) don't work with Arduino serial boards, presumably because they don't implement some particular feature in the way avrdude or libusb expects them too.  In general, we've had the best luck with Keyspan adapters.  Otherwise, you might connecting a USB-to-TTL serial adapter straight to pins 0 and 1 of the Arduino board.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I'm getting the same exact problem here, all of a sudden.
Thought it might be the new 009 app, since that is the only that's change since last I could upload to the board, so I tried 008 & 007, all produce the same results.
Also tried this on 3 different Macs, all throw the same error.

I have 2 other boards, but I'm afraid to try uploading to them, because I need the them to keep doing what they're doing.

What's going on here?

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Reinstalled the driver FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_1_6.dmg, and now it's fine.

Not sure why it went south.

Resisty rocks
View Profile

Can you upload a program to the board from Windows or Linux using just a serial cable (no usb-to-serial converters)?  Some USB-to-serial (and possibly your GeeThree serial port) don't work with Arduino serial boards, presumably because they don't implement some particular feature in the way avrdude or libusb expects them too.

I will try in on the windoze box, but I can't for the life of me find any DB9 serial cables now. Can't find mine, and can't afford to buy others, so I guess it'll wait unless I figure something out.

The stealth port should not be a problem. It is not an adaptor, in the usual sense - it's just that the OS sees its only serial port as a modem. The "adaptor" is little more than a TTL latch which snaps onto the board instead of the modem. So the serial port is a real native RS422 just like on older macs. I think iit's bizarre to emulate a regular serial port with USB when I have a regular serial port here. My system recognises it and Arduino defaults to it. It works for printing and MIDI so I am fairly certain that the port isn't the problem.

More likely would be the RS422->DB9 adaptor I made... It still looks fine but I guess I should check the continuity and my notes for correct pin assignment etc. After I get a few hours sleep!

Thanks for the advice

Resisty rocks
View Profile

Problem solved!

It was all a very simple case of "do not believe everything you read on the internet". Mac serial is a kind of RS422, which is differential, I knew I needed to connect the -TX and -RX. I did a quick look online for a pin diagram, but whatever one I used had the positive and negative backwards. I switched them and now it works perfectly. All I need to do now... is learn how to program the Arduino!

So, yes, in case anybody else was wondering - the Stealth GeeThree serial port works fine, as likely do other modem-to-serial cards which work in a similar way. I've got another kind here somewhere which - if I can find it - I'm going to try stuffing in my Pismo laptop.

Florida
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I had the same errors and this is what I did to fix it:

It all has to do with your COM port which can be accessed (for windows) under Control Panel/systems/hardware/device manager/ports

With the board hooked up to your computer you will see the USB COM port.  Is this COM port number under 10? If not then go the advanced options for that USB port and rename it to a number lower than 10 and be sure that it is also not a number that is currently in use.  

You will also have to change the bits per second for that same USB port (this is under port settings).  You will need to change it to 115200.

Then when you are in the Arduino environment...select the new COM port number that you just renamed.  That should do the trick!

Best of Luck!

~Jess

Arduino rocks
View Profile

nice man, thanks for that, it was driving me crazy, knew it had to be something simple!!

Arduino rocks
View Profile

3 | Locate the USB drivers

If you are using a USB Arduino, you will need to install the drivers for the FTDI chip on the board. These can be found in the drivers/FTDI USB Drivers directory of the Arduino distribution. In the next step ("Connect the board"), you will point Window's Add New Hardware wizard to these drivers.

The latest version of the drivers can be found on the FTDI website.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

i had this problem with a mac ppc.

it appears there was something wrong with one of the pins i was trying to write to.  so i wrote to a different one and it appears to be working.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

hi all. I'm having the same not in sync problem. I've built the serial single sided, uploaded the bootloader, and can't upload the programs. I've tried with different versions and it doesnt wan't to work either. I tried connecting a couple leds to the Rx and Tx lines and get a single pulse in the Rx line and nothing else, changed baudrate, COM number, reset timings... nothing. I've noticed that the led on pin 13 flashes a couple times every ten seconds. Even when I try to upload a program (it takes about 20 seconds before the sync message apears) it flashes every ten seconds, as if nothing happened. Please help me becasue I've run out of ideas.

On a sidenote, the upload of the bootloader isn't working wery well. The verification almost always shows errors in some memory positions, sometimes more, sometimes less. I've to burn the upload seeral times until I get a error free verification. I dont know if this has some relationship with the other problem.

Sorry for my english, it's not my native tongue

Thanks

Forum Administrator
Cambridge, MA
Faraday Member
View Profile

You're using Windows?  How did you get the bootloader onto the board?  Are you using the Arduino environment to upload the sketch?  

The LED on pin 13 blinks every 10 seconds because of the bootloader.  The fact that it does the same thing even when you try to upload makes it sound like no data is ever getting to the bootloader.

Have you checked the hardware with a meter to make sure everything's connected right?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
Jump to: