Go Down

Topic: New ATmega328 (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Leonidas

Jan 04, 2011, 02:54 am Last Edit: Jan 04, 2011, 02:55 am by nik993 Reason: 1
Sooo... i decided to buy my first arduino about last week, it came in the mail and i was messing around, i made something and when i went to go show it to my girlfriend i found a wall extension that fit the arduino.

Im very new to electronics so i didnt read it or anything, turned out it was a 25V plug and i blew my arduino. im pretty sure it was the processor, thats where the smoke was coming from...

I ordered a new one... and now im waiting for it, is there something im going to have to download or something for it? or are there any suggestions? thanks alot.

ionito

What Arduino?
Anyway, probably, the 5V regulator is damaged. Maybe the 328P also. If you have a 7 to 12VDC adapter, remove the chip and measure with a voltmeter the pins 7 (Vcc) and 8 (Gnd) of the 328P empty socket. If you do not have 5V, the regulator is OFF. If it is OK, the momentary over-voltage went to the 328P and it was damaged now.

James C4S

It is far more likely you (literally) burned up the regulator than the processor itself.  Sadly, it is much easier to replace the processor than the regulator.  ;)
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Leonidas

its the arduino uno... so do u think it would be better to buy a new arduino?

CrossRoads

Measure between the 3.3v pin and GND, and between the 5V pin and GND, at the female header, using a digital volt meter with the 328 chip removed. If they are not measuring  as a really low resistance, you may be okay. If you blew the regulator, you may be able to run the arduino from 3 AA batteries going into the 5V pin.
If the 3.3V is measuring really low, than you probably took out the USB interface to the PC as well, and now you've got the task of replacing that surface-mount part as well.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Leonidas

ok so i dont have a volt meter but i did make a simple led curcuit and the 5v and the 3.3v are running fine, does this mean that it was the 328p? and if it is then when i get my new one do i have to program something into it or it should work automatically?

-once again thanx for all the input

ionito

Based on your information, it is possible that only the 328 chip is damaged. But suppose that instead of 5V, you have 8V at the Vcc pin? Without a multimeter, you cannot be sure.

You can buy a 328P chip with Arduino bootloader at eBay and also a cheap multimeter. But with the shipping, you will pay between $13 to $20. Think about.

CrossRoads

Hard to say for sure.
I missed that you had an Uno - that has 2 ATMega chips in it as well as seperate 5v and 3.3V regulators, vs an FTDI chip creating the 3.3V. So you may be okay on the regulators, you may have purchased a 328P with bootloader, but still be dead in the water for comm's with the PC if the 2nd ATMega part is dead.

I don't have an Uno. You could try connecting via USB cable to your PC, see if the PC says you have a USB device out there, that would be a pretty good indication the 2nd ATMega survived.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Leonidas

i tried that... it doesnt show anything... =/

CrossRoads

Jan 04, 2011, 07:39 pm Last Edit: Jan 04, 2011, 08:37 pm by CrossRoads Reason: 1
I think you're hosed then. I haven't seen any mention of anyone removing that part & intalling a programmed one in it place.

If it was me, I would solder up a little cable that an FTDI adapter could plug into for programming. The pins you need to connect you are all available at the female headers.

smeezekitty

HEHE Join my club.
On mine (Not Uno though), my regulator decided to go short curcuit and take out both chips  :'(
In your case, it would be easier to buy a new arduino because the second atmega has more pins then a FTDI and also needs to be programed which is very difficult.
Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Solid state rectifiers are the only REAL rectifiers.
Resistors for LEDS!

Go Up