Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not respondi  (Read 8210 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi. I've recently bought a uno board starter kit from sparkfun, which i am running on a g4 powerbook with os x 10.5. but am having problems uploading the blink example.

I am able to upload the program once and the sequence runs fine, but if i try to upload again (if i alter the code for example) i get the message:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding.

i have to unplug everything and start again and then it does the same - allows me to upload once etc.

Built in LED is working fine, and blinks at same rate as one that i have attached to pin13/gnd. Power LED is on constant. If I reset, both LED's flash a couple of times and then resume sequence.

Arduino board shows up in list of networks, but icon is not on desktop when i have it plugged in.

Help appreciated.

Thanks. Ben

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

but icon is not on desktop when i have it plugged in.
What icon are you expecting to appear on the desktop? Why are you expecting this?

Built in LED is working fine, and blinks at same rate as one that i have attached to pin13/gnd.
That's because the built in LED IS connected to pin 13, too.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

when i first set it up last night, the arduino disk icon was on my desktop but now i don't see it. - not a problem, i suppose, just thought it worth mentioning.

yep, led's are fine. just mentioned to describe what is happening.

board seems to run fine from program once sketch is uploaded. And when i plug it in to the power supply (usb) it appears to run the last successful upload. it just doesn't allow me to upload more than once without restarting everything.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

The icon that was on your desktop was the disk image from when you downloaded / installed the IDE.  It has nothing to do with the physical Arduino.

It sounds like the auto-reset stops working for some reason.  I haven't seen this behavior with my Uno.  If you press and hold the reset button until 1 second after the "Skerch xxxx (of xxxx bytes) message," do you still see problems?

When you "reset everything" what does that mean?

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.c

Arduino rocks
View Profile

That's brilliant, James. Thank you. It works when I hold down the reset button. Is there a way of repairing the auto reset?

When I said restart everything, I meant I was unplugging the board restarting my laptop and starting again.

Morgantown, WV, USA
Morgantown, WV
View Profile

Let me add some data to this thread for debugging purposes. I get the same behavior (i.e. I can upload once and then not again) on a PPC running OS 10.4.11 with the latest IDE installed.

I DO NOT get the same behavior running on my iMac (with Intel chip) running latest OS 10.6. I can modify and upload at will. Since Ben is running OS 10.5, I suspect this is particular to the PPC version of the IDE or USB driver.

-Steve

Morgantown, WV, USA
Morgantown, WV
View Profile

OK, some more data here. I tried many different variations on pushing the reset button, and none have worked. Rebooting the computer does seem to work reliably.

HOWEVER, combinations of switching between serial ports (i.e from /dev/tty.usbmodem0621 to /dev/cu.usbmodem0621) AND using verbose output gets things back working. I have tried to find a reliable pattern here, with many tries, but I can't. I seem to get more reliable results using cu instead of tty. AND I have never gotten the error when I use verbose output.

As well, in a number of posts, I have seen reference to a baud rate of 57600, but my verbose output sets the baud rate at 115200. Hope there are clues here for the developers.

Most importantly. I bought this so my daughter and I can build ROBOTS not debug somebody's beta code. This problem is all over the forums, internet, and across operating systems (FOR YEARS!!!). Why is this not fixed? I will have to put a review on Robotshop and elsewhere to steer budding robot builders away from this microcontroller. They will just get turned off right out of the barn. >smiley-sad

Lancashire, UK
Edison Member
View Profile

Why is this not fixed?

Probably because it isn't possible to fix every computers badly configured/mis-installed/mangled  driver for the USB/serial converter.  

It generates this message if it doesn't find an arduino bootloader at whatever serial port its pointing at.  Often its a fault in the operating system and because the arduino is likely the only serial device on your computer, it hasn't manifested itself before.  Serial ports always have been and likely ever will be a pain to get right. Its a technology that's way past its sell by date, unfortunately its a very cost effective way for programming micro-controllers.

Morgantown, WV, USA
Morgantown, WV
View Profile

If this is the actual root-cause problem (I don't know if you are speculating or are certain), then why is it not in the troubleshooting guide of the Arduino website? It would save lots of time and energy searching.

-Steve

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

Finding the root cause of a generic error message is difficult.

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.c

Arduino rocks
View Profile

So can I fix this problem?

Lancashire, UK
Edison Member
View Profile

Where's Grumpy Mike when you need him ?  He's one of the resident Mac gurus......

Morgantown, WV, USA
Morgantown, WV
View Profile

If by "fix" you mean re-program the driver/code, I have no answer. But if you want a couple workarounds:

So, to help out, I suggest that the two known work-arounds be posted to the Troubleshooting Guide:

1) Unplug the USB cable from the Uno board, hold down the reset button, plug the USB cable back in, release the reset button. Program will now upload.

OR

2) Choose the /dev/cu.usbmodem0621 instead of /dev/tty.usbmodem0621 serial port, AND hold down the shift key while pressing the upload button (turns on verbose logging).

Both these solutions work reliably and repeatably for me under MAC OS X 10.4.11 (and from looking around it appears others have similar good results). Option 1 might work for the many folks on Linux and or Windows who also appear to have this problem.

We actually use #2 the most.

-Steve

Cologne, Germany
solder rocks!
View Profile

Similar problem here. os x 10.6.5 with the 0022 IDE and the latest FTDI driver included in the dmg with a duemilanove.

almost the same, except i cant upload anything, not even the first time.
the strange thing is that the board seems to be responding to the upload (flickering rx-led) but then stops and goes back to blink (which is already on there via the USBTinyISP).

i did what steve suggested, but the reset trick did not work. here is my verbose output for the cu.usbserial-A6008CLK-port:
Code:
Binary sketch size: 1018 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum)
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -cstk500v1 -P/dev/cu.usbserial-A6008clk -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:/var/folders/ZE/ZEyUrjYlEl4mqxTcaGvdD++++TI/-Tmp-/build8861803084713562978.tmp/Blink.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct  9 2007 at 11:20:31
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/Users/USER/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port            : /dev/cu.usbserial-A6008clk
         Using Programmer      : stk500v1
         Overriding Baud Rate  : 57600
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20]
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: Send: Q [51]   [20]

and for the tty.usbserial-A6008CLK-port:

Code:
Binary sketch size: 1018 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum)
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -cstk500v1 -P/dev/tty.usbserial-A6008clk -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:/var/folders/ZE/ZEyUrjYlEl4mqxTcaGvdD++++TI/-Tmp-/build8861803084713562978.tmp/Blink.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct  9 2007 at 11:20:31
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/Users/USER/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port            : /dev/tty.usbserial-A6008clk
         Using Programmer      : stk500v1
         Overriding Baud Rate  : 57600
avrdude: Send: Q [51]   [20]

ANY help is greatly appreciated! :-/

Morgantown, WV, USA
Morgantown, WV
View Profile

Sorry, I will be little help. Ours is an Uno, so that is one difference, and I noticed that your baud rate gets set to 57600, where the Uno gets set to 115200. I did see some discussion of problems with the 57600 baud rate elsewhere on the forum, but I couldn't understand the particulars, and my recollection is that it related to interfaces with other serial devices.

-Steve

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: