Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Off Switch / USB B-mini/micro port installation  (Read 1142 times)
Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I was wondering about the feasibility of putting some sort of on/off switch on my arduino. I don't really want to irreversibly modify it (ie cutting the traces), so I was wondering about having a non-momentary switch for the reset button.

How much power does the atmega328 draw when it's being reset?

Does the arduino let shields/components plugged into it draw power while it's being reset?

Is this safe/good for the arduino?

For the USB port, I am looking to modify the big, bulky USB B connector to a USB B mini or a USB B micro connector. Would that be possible?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

A WizenedEE should have no trouble reading the documentation for an arduino and desoldering the 6 pins that hold the large USB socket and the 4 pins holding the reset switch, to replace them with wires going off board to whatever sockey & switch were desired. Or in browsing the ATMEGA328 data sheet to see what occurs while the chip is held in a constant reset state.

The schematics would also show the ATMega328 has no control over the 5V, it is just another user of it, as any shield also is.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I'd rather have the USB port be onboard, as the power switch. The USB port would be rather hard to put in because of the special mounting holes needed; has anyone had any luck with doing this?

Does anybody have any other suggestions for the power switch?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Look into this, as a USB power switch: Locate F1 on the board, remove that, mount it on a switch that you then hotglue to the board, maybe on the bottom, or to the female headers, then make the connections back to the board.

For replacing the socket - I would  browse someplace like here
http://www.cypressindustries.com/products/usb.html
find the connector you want. Put some leads on a part, wire the leads to the holes in the arduino board, then epoxy down a piece of insulating material and mount the connector to the top of that, finishing up with ground wires to the 2 large holes.

Or save yourself a lot of hassle and get a seedstudio arduino
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/seeeduino-v22-atmega-328p-p-669.html

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: