Go Down

Topic: usb serial tx freezing on uno (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

markween

Jan 12, 2011, 08:06 pm Last Edit: Jan 12, 2011, 08:23 pm by markweenlondon Reason: 1
hi,
i just got a ardunio uno -
setup a simple circuit with a photoresistor that controls a servo

code belo

Code: [Select]
#include <Servo.h>

Servo myservo;  

int potpin = 0;  
int val;    

void setup()
{
 myservo.attach(9);
 Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop()
{
   val = analogRead(potpin);          
   val = map(val, 0, 900, 0, 179);    
   constrain(val, 0, 179);

Serial.println(val);
    delay(25);

myservo.write(val);                
   delay(15);                        
}  

i upload that code and open the serial monitor which starts printing out values.
the problem is that the serial sends data out but when there is a sudden large change in the value its sending tx freezes (the tx led either stays lit constant or goes out) and no data is being sent anymore - i have to unplug the usb and start again to get it sending again

i also tried reading with dotnet on com11 so make sure it wasnt a software issue and i got the same result
anyone know why this might be happening???

cheers,
mark

Grumpy_Mike

It might be a problem with the servo code. Try removing that call and see if it still happens.

It could be a hardware issue where a sudden demand for current causes a glitch and screws up the arduino. How are you powering the servo? They normally need an external power supply, how much peak current does yours take?

C222

I agree with mike.
Most servos I have used are right on the edge of the power Arduinos are capable of supplying on board.
Try hooking it via an H-bridge, mosfet, or transistor to an external power supply like a >5v battery or a wall wart.

markween

Thanks for the replies it was power I think!
I removed the sevo and it works

thanks
mark

zoomkat

Most servos I have used are right on the edge of the power Arduinos are capable of supplying on board.
Try hooking it via an H-bridge, mosfet, or transistor to an external power supply like a >5v battery or a wall wart.

The "H-bridge, mosfet, or transistor" are usually for motors and aren't usually used with servos.
Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   8)

markween

thanks for the input zoomkat but forgive me ignorance but what do you use to power a servo?

mines a mini servo btw

thanks,
mark

zoomkat

The below discussion covers several points that might be of interest.

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1295000311
Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   8)

Go Up