Go Down

Topic: UNO reading false high input value (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

cioto

Hi,
I have an Arduino UNO and this sample sketch:

Code: [Select]

void setup(){
 pinMode(4, INPUT);
 pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
 Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop(){
if(digitalRead(4)==HIGH){
  digitalWrite(13, HIGH);
}else{
  digitalWrite(13, LOW);
}
Serial.println(digitalRead(4));
delay(100);
}

Is it normal that the UNO reads high input value on input 4 as soon as I connect a wire to the input? The wire is floating, not connected to anything!
Did I break the atmega???  :-[

retrolefty

It is normal that performing a digitalRead() on a pin with nothing connected to it (including just a wire going nowhere) will return random and invalid data. That is called a floating input and will go away if wired to an active circuit or by using pulldown or pullup resistors.

Lefty

cioto

MarkT

I think the default setting for pins is input mode with internal weak pull-ups enabled.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

James C4S

I think the default setting for pins is input mode with internal weak pull-ups enabled.

Just the shear number of people who post with floating pin problems would suggest the pull-ups are not enabled by default.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

retrolefty

Just the shear number of people who post with floating pin problems would suggest the pull-ups are not enabled by default.

Correct. Heck I wouldn't even be a god member if it wasn't for responding to posts involving floating inputs, and yea, LEDs with no resistors.  ;D

Lefty

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy