Go Down

Topic: Programmer is not responding (Read 45799 times) previous topic - next topic

mellis

hungerburg: which version of the Arduino software are you using?  When you reset the board, is there a pause of a few seconds before your sketch starts to run?

hungerburg

hello mellis,

I am running the version that is shipped with debian unstable, it declares itself as 0.0007alpha. after transmitting the code to the card, there is a pause of about five seconds, before the program starts to run. I do not have to reset the board, ie. push the switch, but the board resets itself when the transmission starts (most of the time at least). sending the program immediately after pushing the reset button on the board worked too (command line not IDE though).

yours.

peter

mellis

Hmm, you might try the Linux version of Arduino 0009 from: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software.  We switched from uisp to avrdude because of these kinds of issues.  Of course, if you're happy with the command line, that's fine too, although there are other improvements (in particular some optimizations to make sketches smaller).

hungerburg

The 0009 version / avrdude works fine! I got me the debian package only after downloading/running that one, because this one helped me conveniently fulfill the dependencies.

I did not realize those are different versions. One of the reasons may be, that the page with the link to the debian package looked like maintained, while its not.

thank you.

peter

alwar

I have tried all you say, but always i have the same mesage "Programmer is not responding."  maybe the software (arduino 0007 Alpha) have a bug? I try in windows with Arduino 0005 and arduino returns "Programmer is not responding." but if I change the microcontroler, the mesage change, in linux (0007) no, and in windows arduino 0005 reset the board, in linux arduino 0007 no, and when i try to download the program to the board the TX led blink, in linux it still off when you try to download the program.

I don't like to change the board...  :( :'(

mellis

alwar: what kind of board do you have?  Which microcontroller is on it?  Can you try Arduino 0009?  

alwar

I have arduino diecimila with atmega168, I think that the version 0007 was the last, but i see that the spanish web page is not update

donnied

Well,  I'm running Debian and have downloaded the newest arduino 0010

I have a diecimila and I've been trying the tricks listed but I get the message avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding.

I set the upload to verbose but that doesn't tell me much.  The power light is steady; the orange light is flickering in sync with the led plugged into pin 13.  The TX and RX lights haven't flickered.  I read the suggestion about copying output tp the command line but I wouldn't know which line to copy.  Suggestions?

mellis

Can you post the text of the messages you get with upload.verbose set to true?  Also, is there any chance you can try the board on another computer (preferably running a different operating system) to try to see if it's a hardware or software problem?  The fact that the RX and TX lights never even blink (is that true?) makes it sound like you may not permissions on the USB device (/dev/ttyUSB0) or that you've got the wrong device selected in the Tools > Serial Port menu.

dinozoiks

Just plugged in my first Arduino... yay! But then... booo!
Sorry to do this to you but I have the same issue...

It's a Deicimila, flashing amber light (at approx 1Hz), LED on pin 13 flashes the same. On 'upload' the RX light flickers but that's all. The reset button makes the LED blink once but then it starts it's steady blinking as before.

Tried the reset / send timing thing. Nothing.

Using 2.4Ghz Intel Core Duo 24" iMac running Leopard. I don't have a PC to try it on.

USB power jumpers are on Pin 1 and 2.

Can't see any loose connections.

Nothing connected to pins 0 and 1.

Turned on verbose logging...

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct  9 2007 at 11:20:31
        Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
        User configuration file is "/Users/dinoburbidge/.avrduderc"
        User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port            : /dev/tty.usbserial-A4001JY9
        Using Programmer      : stk500v1
        Overriding Baud Rate  : 19200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20]
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: Send: Q [51]   [20]

All a bit frustrating and fully expecting the 'sounds like the board is faulty' reply... so standing by for any glimmer of hope! :) Again, sorry, this must be very dull for you!

Anything else I should try?

D

dinozoiks

Strange... just been away for something to eat, fired up my Mac and tried it again. Came up with a much longer trace. Saved it here to avoid making the forum look ugly.

http://www.dino.co.uk/random/arduino_output.txt

Still has the same output though... flashing light etc.

Does that mean anything?  :-?

Dino

mellis

Hmm, if your LED is blinking at 1 Hz, it sounds like you've successfully loaded the Blink sketch onto the board.  (By default, I believe it gets loaded with a program that flickers irregularly.)  The error you get in the longer trace makes it sound as though the upload is basically working, but an occasional byte doesn't make it.  This might be because the communication is somehow flakey, though I'm not sure why that would be.  Your board isn't resting on anything conductive is it?  (Like the bag it came in?)  Try changing the values passed to delay() in the Blink sketch and uploading again.  Does the upload ever work (and the frequency of the LED blink change)?  What kinds of errors do you get it when it doesn't?

dinozoiks

Nov 27, 2007, 09:46 pm Last Edit: Nov 27, 2007, 10:31 pm by dinozoiks Reason: 1
Naah, sitting on wood and changing delay to 200 makes no difference. Just get the same old... It's only the once I got something different. I do get a variety of traces if I change the baud rate though, but all end in the same situation... nothing gets uploaded. Should I trace these for you too?

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct  9 2007 at 11:20:31

System wide configuration file is "hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
        User configuration file is "/Users/dinoburbidge/.avrduderc"

Using Port            : /dev/tty.usbserial-A4001JY9
        Overriding Baud Rate  : 19200

I could try going for something to eat again. Seemed to work last time! :)

D

donnied

Dec 03, 2007, 01:12 am Last Edit: Dec 03, 2007, 02:33 am by donnied Reason: 1
I get pretty much the same thing.  I tried switching to alpha 9 instead of 10 to see if that would make a difference.  The program is automatically identifying the usb port which I then check, but it's not showing much.  When I cat the usb port I'm not getting anything.  Should the arduino be sending out anything?

Code: [Select]

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Aug  6 2007 at 15:02:40

System wide configuration file is "tools/avrdude.conf"
        User configuration file is "/home/simbirsk/.avrduderc"
        Using Port            : /dev/ttyUSB1
        Overriding Baud Rate  : 9600

I've just tried on another computer and got the same error messages.  Additionally, I notice the Arduino repository and package listed on the website to install for deb do indeed install prerequisites and seemingly 'arduino'  but there is no Arduino command available afterwards.  I also notice that one of the dependencies was uisp: is this deprecated? (I believe all the newer versions require avrdude.)

Is there some sort of ping test I can be trying with the command line and avrdude to  check out the board?  

Could somebody who has a working arduino with Debian or Ubuntu paste there conf file and the verbose output of what happens when things are working correctly?  
Otherwise it's only the green light (steady) and the pin 13 led blinking in synch with the orange light above rx and tx.)
(Tx and Rx blink right when I plug in the usb cable but that's it.)

p.s. this is what dmesg tells me when I plug and unplug the diecimila:
Code: [Select]

usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 2
usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3

mellis

There should be data coming back from the Arduino, making me think it might be a permission problem.  Did you try running Arduino as root?

Also, the Debian instructions might be out-dated, you should try the regular Linux ones.  I didn't create the .deb package and don't know anything about it.  But yes, newer versions of Arduino use avrdude instead of uisp.

Go Up