Go Down

Topic: :-S arduino lilypad blues :: not in sync (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic

leahb

I'm a dork!  just got home from a long trip & had a chance to take a closer look at everything. fornzix, you're right.  tx on the Arduino mini USB->serial adapter should be attached to tx on the LilyPad and ditto with rx.  For many other usb->serial devices things would be the other way around--that is you'd attach rx to tx, etc.  Everybody, please be aware that this connection is sensitively dependent on the usb->serial device you're using!

& I promise there's nothing wrong with the traces on the LilyPad or the USB mini adapter.

tickler

I'd *really* like to have a final answer since my lilypad is in jeopardy  ;D

Looking *closely* at the photos on the http://lilypad setup section [url]http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoLilyPad on arduino.cc, we have the mini usb tx (yellow wire) attaching to the rx on the lilypad (rx is exactly at noon on the lilypad).

Are the demo/tutorial photos incorrect?  

Does it depend on the lilypad or mini usb version?

Which is right?

Help me out here...i'm an amateur  :-[

John_Ryan

tx on the lillypad should be the second pin from the left looking at 12 o'clock, rx is next door, the 3rd pin from the left.

According to the 168v spec sheet, it's pin 31(tx) and pin 30(rx), so the lillypad is wired correctly (I just received 2, and both are correct).

I also received a USB mini03, I can't tell if that's wired correctly because there's text blobbed all over the PCB.

leahb

OK after some more investigations, I have found that some versions of the Arduino mini USB adapter had different labeling.  The USB connector in the pictures on the Arduino website labels TX as the second connection from the left while current boards label that same connection as RX.  I checked the same picture you did ticklr when I posted my first reply, but was then confused when I returned home and other, more recent, boards I had were labeled differently.  So, I thought I had just messed up in my first post.  I don't think the wiring on the Arduino USB boards changed, I suspect that  just the labeling did.  So, you always want to connect RX on the LilyPad to the connection that is second from the left on the Arduino mini USB adapter (labeled RX in your photos ticklr, but--ack!--TX in the ones I took).

FYI, swapping the TX and RX connection to your LilyPad won't do any harm. Your LilyPad just won't work when they're not hooked up right.  What killed your Arduino USB connector was leaving the conductive foam on the Arduino USB board :-[.  I'm going to spend all day tomorrow working on updated documentation and tutorials and I will put up a post once that's done.

Leah

leahb

pic of mini USB adapter versions 2 & 3 showing the labeling issue

http://www.flickr.com/photos/leahbuechley/2231257372/

Again, in all versions of the mini USB adapter that I have encountered, you want to connect the second from the left tab (labeled RX in version 3, but TX in version 2) to RX on the LilyPad.

Go Up