Go Down

Topic: Serial Problem with Atmega8 on bread board (Read 7744 times) previous topic - next topic


I have a known working Atmega8 and I put it on a bread board and it work fine.  I have a 16MHZ crystal and I wired in a LED to the digital out 13 pin and that works fine.  Then I wired in a USB to serial adapter from SparkFun, ran TX to Rx and Rx to TX and put a .1uf reset cap from pin 1 of the reset line (pin 1) to the DTR of the USB to serial device.

Now, Windows recognizes the USB Com port as Com8 as does the Arduino IDE.  I select Com8 and the correct board which is Arduino NG with Atmega8, load the blink command and change the digital out pin from 13 to 12 and then upload it.  

I get this error:

Binary sketch size: 318 bytes (of a 7168 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

It works fine in the Arduino board itself, but not on the bread board.  I thought maybe it was the serial device so I set it up for a loopback test and enter data in the serial port monitor and hit send and recieved back exactly what I sent it.

I am at a loss as to why I am unable to upload anything.  I even tried changing baud rates both in the boards.txt file and in device manager, but get the same error.

I even just tried uploading the basic file and still no luck.  The led on digital out 13 flashes rapidly for a second maybe and the TX led on the usb to serial device flashes for a bit and then stops.  The RX led never does anything.

Anyone have any ideas?  Is there any kind of serial protocol anaylyzer I can use with a usb to serial device to see what information is being sent and what is received back while the Arduino IDE is uploading?


Okay, now I am really confused.  I put the chip back into my Arduino NG and get the same failure.  So, I put my Atmega328 in and guess what, the same failure.  The Atmega328 used to work just a few days ago.  I don't know what is going on.  Maybe I need to reinstall the software or the USB drivers though it is weird that in a loopback condition the USB to RS232 device seems to work fine.  I guess I might have to go to an external programmer like I do with PICs.  This is really frustrating.


Yahoo!  I finally got my problem resolved.  Somehow the bootloader got messed up I guess.  Anyway I tried using USBTinyISP to upload the hex file.  I never could get it to upload using avrdude in command line as I would get an invalid file format for some reason.

But it did erase the chip as part of the process so I went back to the Arduino IDE and reloaded the bootloader and what do you know, it works now both in the Arduino and on the breadboard.


Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131