Go Down

Topic: Fans are not working properly. (Read 3058 times) previous topic - next topic

zarniko

The fans sometimes dont work... This overheats the extruder motor and housing and materia gets stuck.. any of you guys having the same issues?

botberg

No issues here with the fans.
No overheating of the steppers either, although they become kind of warm..
So far I've printer >3kg of PLA without overheating issues.

Maybe it's related to your settings in Slic3r.
I expect that only the fan in the enclosure is on by default.
If I'm right, the other fans are managed by the g-code.

Bas
Netherlands.

dp_1

Feb 24, 2015, 11:20 pm Last Edit: Feb 24, 2015, 11:23 pm by dp_1
The electronics fan should always be on, the one cooling the stepper should turn on as soon as the stepper moves, and the extruder one is regulated by gcode.
If the extruder motor overheats check if you calibrated well the drivers on the ramps boars. The voltage between the negative pole and the potentiometer on the driver should be 0.4 for the x y z motors and 0.5 for the extruder one.
Prendete quello che dico come un suggerimento, non mi assumo responsabilità di nessun tipo

zarniko

I actually found the culprit. The small connector inside the machine was loose and as the printer vibrates it gets disconnect. Probably would have been the first thing i check if i assembled it my self. But since i bought it preassembled it took a while for me to trace it to the connection...

But anyways its working now. just had to re-clamp the contacts and make the connectors tighter.

Thanks.

badmole

My case fan never goes on. Plugged in the correct jumpers.

ejo60

Ok, the fan on the extruder motor is always supposed to be on, and the material fan should also come on if you set the printer to preheat.

If this does not happen, then fix it to prevent damage to the extruder, check the cable, check the connectors, etc etc.

kengdahl

The fan in the case should be connected to the 5V output and should always be on. If it is not on, you might have to flip the connector to the fan.
There is a 5V pin on AUX 1

Tak a look at this schematic:
http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/c/ca/Arduinomega1-4connectors.png

badmole

My case fan never went on; based on my experience with other instructions, I turned the connector 90 degrees so it they connect horizontally rather than vertically, and now it works. You're almost better off throwing the instructions away and guessing yourself.

benvolio9mm

My case fan never went on; based on my experience with other instructions, I turned the connector 90 degrees so it they connect horizontally rather than vertically, and now it works. You're almost better off throwing the instructions away and guessing yourself.
I wanted more cooling for my printer so I rerouted several fans to a perf board and then plugged that directly into the power supply terminal. That way as soon as the printer powers up I have my fans spinning at top speed, non-stop. I was even considering installing an 80mm fan to cool the electronics in the bottom of the case. That might be a little too much.

normoldboy

I found out that the case fan can be stopped by a stray wire touching the blades and stalling the fan and it will only start back up if you spin the fan by hand. Once the fan overcomes the inertia (can be caused by friction of the shaft  or low voltage) it will remain spinning and start on all power on situations. It took several finger starts, but once it overcame the inertia, it now spins with a lot of force and if I stop it with a finger, then it starts all by itself. I attribute this to the motor sitting on a manufacturers shelf for a long time and any oil, dirt, grease had congealed and presented an inertia problem. Since I have been pushing the machine hard, the fan spins up every time. Also if your fan does not spin at all, check the orientation of the Positive/negative wires. The fan will not spin at all if this is reversed.

As an aside: I have had trouble with these small fans in the past on built computers. I have had to remove the small foil sticker and using a few drops of WD-40 clean the bearing end shaft. The shaft is kept in place by a small plastic split keeper (Seeger clips?) that can be removed with a small tweezer and the shaft removed if necessary, (pull the blades and shaft out the housing). The keeper can be returned to the end grove by placing the split keeper on the tip of the forefinger and pressing the tip of the shaft down into the keeper. This is just an emergency fix, as the fan should be replaced at the earliest convenience.

Go Up