Go Down

Topic: SD card not being read (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

I built the printer, calibrated it, loaded the filament, and put a g-code file on the SD card. However, when I put the SD card in the printer, the printer would not show it containing any files. When I put the card in, the LCD display said Card Inserted, which means that it acknowledges that the SD card is plugged in, but when I enter the main menu, it still says "No SD Card". If you could offer any possible solutions, it would be great.

You may have a g-code file, but unless it is named g code or G-code, the reader will not acknowledge the file. I made the mistake of copying a G code file to an SD card and it was just another text document. The firm ware has to be presented a gcode file type. Since Windows  does not have a gcode file format, it has to be generated by a program that will list g code. That program is a slicer that takes an output CAD file of the format file.stl and generates the gcode file. That slicer program is slc3r-mswin that you downloaded from the Materia 101 site. First thing  find the file that you want to use but one with the XXXX.stl format. Open slc3r and open file and find the stl file. over on the right is a box that says output gcode. save that file and copy it to your SD card. When you open the SD card on the LCD, it points to the file.

Even though the file looks like gcode, if it was saved by Windows as a text file. The file itself must have the gcode tag.

After some experimentation, I think I know what happened.

If you find a gcode file and try to open it to look at it with Windows, and then try to save that file that you opened to look at, Windows changes that file to a txt file.

If you find a gcode file, you can save it to Windows without looking at it and it will remain gcode. you can copy it as many times as you want as gcode and send it to a SD card, but do not look at it.

What you have to do is save a gcode file to windows two or three times. Then open one of those files with an ordinary text reader to see if that is what you want. delete that file after reading it and use one of the other two files to save to your SD card. That way you have a valid gcode file.

I tried the instructions above several times, but I got the same results. If anyone could offer any other possible solutions, that'd be great!

Jun 10, 2015, 03:00 am Last Edit: Jun 10, 2015, 04:10 am by normoldboy
kadard :
 I have a g-code file that works on my machine. Just today I got it to print consistently so that each one printed is exactly like another. I had to run it through slc3r a couple of times and have the slicer correct the code. A couple of times I found that my configuration of the slc3r was not what I had originally put in. I do not know if the code changed the configuration, but as soon as I reset the configuration to the parameters of the M-101 I generated a g-code that produced a good print. Then I duplicated that. Right now I am printing a gear wheel that looks super so far. One iteration of the tool That became consistent ran for three hours and only produced a blob 0.75mm high. I redid the code in slicer and it started producing good prints. I will find a way to post the good g-code so that others can try it. It was a frustrating learning experience.
Posted the g code file at:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/v89odickmt257co/M6Tool.gcode?dl=0

It is a small four prong 6mm wrench takes about 20 minutes

Go Up