Go Down

Topic: Adding components to an existing PCB (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

larryd

Sep 07, 2015, 09:01 pm Last Edit: Sep 07, 2015, 09:45 pm by LarryD
Every now and then you may need to add a component to an existing circuit board.
You may need to add some new functionality, modify a mistake or maybe add a marshaling point for GND or VCC.

If you have one of these inexpensive metal hole punches, punch out different sized pads from 1/32" single sided PCB material.

Use epoxy or high temperature liquid steel glue/epoxy to affix the cutout pads in free PCB areas.
After the glue hardens, solder your components and wires to these pads and your existing PCB traces.

EDIT:
Don't forget about using the real estate on the bottom of the PCB.

No technical PMs.
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.

Paul__B

If you have one of these inexpensive metal hole punches, punch out different sized pads from 1/32" single sided PCB material.
It will want to be inexpensive, as it will not last too long. :smiley-lol:

larryd

Sep 08, 2015, 01:58 am Last Edit: Sep 08, 2015, 01:59 am by LarryD
As I am too lazy to keep changing the dies I got four of these 1 Ton punches.
~$25-40ea on the internet.

As long as they can reach the spot on the work, I prefer these punches for making holes in plastic, aluminum or PCB material ( for <.07" thickness).

No technical PMs.

CrossRoads

@LarryD, what were you adding to (my) 1284P Bobuino board?
Looks like a TIP120?
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

larryd

I was just showing what could be done, (your) board was near by.
No technical PMs.

be80be

Very nice idea. I've cut parts off old pcb to add to kind of like this but gluing pads Is even better.
Got me to thinking. Thanks larryD

Grumpy_Mike

Why do the pads have to be round? A square pad is just as effective and a lot easier to make.

Paul__B

Why do the pads have to be round? A square pad is just as effective and a lot easier to make.
Oh come now, the appearance is important!

Grumpy_Mike

Oh come now, the appearance is important!

Sorry I forgot that electrons as so fashion conscious these days.

jboyton

Did you have the punches already and then come up with this as a way to mount parts on a PCB? Or did you buy the punches for that purpose?

larryd

Sep 08, 2015, 05:04 pm Last Edit: Sep 08, 2015, 05:15 pm by LarryD
In this case because it may be cheaper to make a round punch ;)
These take 1 second each to make. That' not too long.
A strip of PCB material and nippy cutters can do a nice rectangular job.

I had these punches before.
I've been using them for many years to make holes in front panels and home made PCBs.

Each punch has a brad point so if you center punch where you want a hole, it is very easy to position the punch.

As you punch a hole, the plug falls out of the die, on seeing one of these plugs from a PCB I thought they could be used as mentioned in the 1st post.

No technical PMs.

larryd

Sep 08, 2015, 05:11 pm Last Edit: Sep 08, 2015, 05:12 pm by LarryD
For accurate center punching I use one of these, mostly use it in my wood working.

No technical PMs.

Paul__B

Wow!

Is that imager actually glass?

larryd

No technical PMs.

Go Up