Go Down

Topic: Our very own extention? (Read 2161 times) previous topic - next topic

jezuz

I know this was a popular topic on google code, but I thought I should bring it up here.

Arduino sketches need their own extensions, e.g.: .duino or .arduino

mowcius

mem

There was a discussion on this topic here: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1248240393

pwillard

Oh please please please...   (I guess I want this...)

Agreed. It would be useful to not share a file extension with Processing sketches. Often there are components of a project for both apps, and it would be nice to have each launch its own correct IDE.

.andy
.andy

zageek

Can I also add my vote for this.

.ard could be a good canditate in keeping with the tradional .3 naming conventions
South African Arduino User Group

http://arduino.za.net

estranged

.ino might also work, in the spirit of the various *duinos out there.

MaBerY

Why not .rdn ? (aka aRDuiNo hebrew style)

Seriously, It doesn't really matter what extention really is used IMHO
Just live with .PDE....

Othewise the arduino team could have changed the pin spacing to 0.1" on the board top  ;D

mem

Mar 12, 2010, 02:10 pm Last Edit: Mar 12, 2010, 02:25 pm by mem Reason: 1
It doesn't really matter what extention really is used IMHO
Just live with .PDE....

try using Processing (Arduino's sibling environment) and see how easily you can live with clicking on sketches and have the wrong environment come up.

TchnclFl

Agreed.  I commonly name processing files similar names to my Arduino files, and it kills me because I can't figure out what the file is for :P.

MaBerY

Mar 12, 2010, 03:19 pm Last Edit: Mar 12, 2010, 03:19 pm by MaBerY Reason: 1
try using Processing (Arduino's sibling environment) and see how easily you can live with clicking on sketches and have the wrong environment come up.

Ah! I see!

I never used Processing in my own projects so far. I assumed it uses another extention. So it is not the case obviously

Is this the same case with Arduino's nephew Wiring?

mem

Mar 12, 2010, 03:29 pm Last Edit: Mar 12, 2010, 07:29 pm by mem Reason: 1
Wiring predated Arduino so its more uncle than nephew.

Wiring does use the same extension

mellis

This is something I'd like to do for 1.0, and also one of the reasons that I think the 1.0 name is useful.  It's a non-backwards compatible change, but one that's small and useful.  

I'm leaning towards .ade for the parallel with Processing and .pde, but .ino is tempting too.  

Which one doesn't really matter too much, I think, as long as it != .pde. :-)

Personally, I like the parallel with Processing also, even though I have no idea what the "de" stands for -- Development Environment ??

Of course, in Italian, "Arduino" was the name of a king (as well as the bar in Ivrea), but the "ino" suffix is also signifies the diminutive.

.andy
.andy

mowcius

yeah well as stated in the other forum topic mentioned above, .ade is used already so I think .ino would be just fine :)

Mowcius

Go Up