Go Down

Topic: Our very own extention? (Read 2117 times) previous topic - next topic

MaBerY

This is something I'd like to do for 1.0, and also one of the reasons that I think the 1.0 name is useful.  It's a non-backwards compatible change, but one that's small and useful.  

I'm leaning towards .ade for the parallel with Processing and .pde, but .ino is tempting too.

Adding a configuration switch in the preferences would be handy to control this behaviour in case backwards compatibility is needed.

jezuz

.ino seems reasonable to me.

As for backwards compatibility, just allow the program to read .pde's as well (so that we can still open our old code, of course) but make .ino (or whatever you choose) the automatic extension when saving new files (and re-saving old ones, that way all the code one already has will eventually come to have the new extension).  

Senso

Its a simple text file, so whatever name you gave to it, it will always be possible to open the file usando the arduino ide, or any other editor.

mowcius

Its a simple text file, so whatever name you gave to it, it will always be possible to open the file usando the arduino ide, or any other editor.

Yes, I used to open mine with wordpad when I was away from my computer but as I have to have my flash drive with me to open the sketches, I just keep a copy of the IDE on there now  ;)

Mowcius

Coding Badly

ino --> Inno Setup Script

PLEASE use a file extension longer than 3 characters.

wayoda

Mar 20, 2010, 06:14 pm Last Edit: Mar 20, 2010, 06:14 pm by wayoda Reason: 1

PLEASE use a file extension longer than 3 characters.

Yes, Microsoft has plagued us long enough with their 3Letter words.

The extension <filename>.arduino is the only natural choice I think.

Eberhard

Go Up