Go Down

Topic: Installing strange SIM900A Arduino module (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

abbas_g_d

Hello everybody. I bought a SIM900A module to implement some SMS and calling functions for hobby and learning. However, I searched all over Internet to find a guide or a tip related to this special module and couldn't find anything. I assume my module is kind of specific or old, maybe something else. :smiley-confuse:

Now, I want to ask you to help me :smiley-red: . Firstly, what is this kind of module? I mean on the net the SIM900A is something else but mine is different. May you give me some information?

Secondly, frankly, I do not know anything regarding how to connect related pins to my Arduino Uno. On the other words, what pins should I connect to Arduino?

In following, I attached photos of wired SIM900A.

I'd appreciate your advice.

dannable

It look fairly standard for an inexpensive module. 5 volts, ground, Rx -> Tx, Tx -> Rx. The device itself still has its protective paper on it.

The 900A is dual band, aimed at the South East Asia market, so check that it works in your country. It doesn't work in mine so we've just about got to the limit of the advice I can offer.
Beginners guide to using the Seeedstudio SIM900 GPRS/GSM Shield

abbas_g_d

Thanks for your answer. Is there any specific library to use this module or any example?

dannable

All you will be doing is sending AT commands through a serial connection and reading the response. Why do you need a library or an example for that? If you really do need an example there are many on the internet.

abbas_g_d

Dec 03, 2015, 08:57 pm Last Edit: Dec 03, 2015, 09:03 pm by abbas_g_d
It look fairly standard for an inexpensive module. 5 volts, ground, Rx -> Tx, Tx -> Rx. The device itself still has its protective paper on it.

The 900A is dual band, aimed at the South East Asia market, so check that it works in your country. It doesn't work in mine so we've just about got to the limit of the advice I can offer.
I've done what you said but IDE said programmer is not responding. What I did:

1- Uno Tx to shield Rx
2- Uno Rx to shield Tx
3- Connect Uno 5v to shield 5v
4- Connect Uno GND to shield GND
5- Copying your code into IDE to test

Code: [Select]
#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

SoftwareSerial GPRS(7, 8);

unsigned char buffer[64];  // buffer array for data receive over serial port
int count=0;               // counter for buffer array

void setup()
{
  GPRS.begin(19200);
  Serial.begin(19200);
}

void loop()
{
  if (GPRS.available())
  {
    while(GPRS.available())
    {
      buffer[count++]=GPRS.read();
      if(count == 64)break;
    }
    Serial.write(buffer,count);
    clearBufferArray();
    count = 0;
  }
  if (Serial.available())
    GPRS.write(Serial.read());
}

void clearBufferArray()
{
  for (int i=0; i<count;i++)
  {
    buffer[i]=NULL;
  }
}

I guess my wires are likely connected in wrong way, and, what are other pins like VCCMCU or those two extra GND pins upside the board?

dannable

If you are using that code then you need to connect the SIM900 to pins 7 & 8 on the Arduino (Uno?).

Try Tx -> 7, Rx -> 8. If you don't get a response then swap them over.

Some general hints: http://www.simpasture.com/26020.html

abbas_g_d

Which library should I use? SoftwareSerial or GSM?

Thanks for your help

abbas_g_d

Zapro

The device itself still has its protective paper on it.
Nope. OP put that on so we can't read his IMEI-number.

// Per.

Zapro

If you are outside the Asia or eastern area you won't get it to register on the network. Look at this on how to get i working: http://amichalec.net/2014/08/sim900a-fixed-for-europe/

// Per.

Go Up