Go Down

Topic: A counerfiet Arduino UNO (Read 552 times) previous topic - next topic

artisticforge

Hello

Received my amazon.com order today and the Arduino UNO immedicately caught my attention.
Avery Label on the tiny box "Go to Arduino.ORG for software"

All ready e-mail amazon.com about this and spoke with the company selling this item.

arduino.cc replaced with arduino.org

So the question is:

is anyone orgranizaiton/group/company collecting these counterfiets ?

I definitely do not want it.
The company has refunded my money.
amazon.com is completely silent.

I am back to having to order an Arduino UNO Rev 3.

May just forget this project and do something that is less of a minefield.

legal fights between arduino.cc & arduino.org
all the counterfiet product all ready in the marketplace.

whatever happened to a simple hobby?

><>

CrossRoads

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

CrossRoads

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

artisticforge

hello

The Amazon link is to an Ardiuno UNO shipping from Hong Kong.
The 2nd link the Photographs are of a Counterfiet Arduino UNO Board.
Compare photographs with the www.arduino.cc web site on how to spot counterfiets.

adafruit.com and sparkfun.com are about the only two retalers that I trust at this point.

the arduino UNO arduino.org is tainted so I will not even plug it in.

><>

weedpharma

It may be a fake. But it will probably still work. Why waste it? Use it to test circuits that you are not sure of. If it burns, so what?

It would be wasteful to bin it.

Weedpharma

CrossRoads

Adafruit
https://www.adafruit.com/products/50
I don't know why I couldn't find that earlier.
I'd go with the board from NKC also.

Sparkun
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11021
This is a .org board, look at the backside picture

keeper63@cox.net

Received my amazon.com order today and the Arduino UNO immedicately caught my attention.
Avery Label on the tiny box "Go to Arduino.ORG for software"

All ready e-mail amazon.com about this and spoke with the company selling this item.

arduino.cc replaced with arduino.org
As a newbie to this forum, you may or may not be aware of the arduino.cc and arduino.org "split and lawsuit" fiasco that is going on "behind the scenes":

http://arduino.stackexchange.com/questions/11824/difference-between-arduino-cc-and-arduino-org

So - your board might actually be a legit "arduino.org" Uno board. Or, it could be a counterfeit board with the "arduino.org" branding on it. Whether you think of "arduino.org" as "counterfeit" should only be done after reviewing the issues around the whole splitup (and ultimately, the outcome of the legal case).

I have my own opinions on what has happened, and I see the issue in a certain light. That said, I can't legitimately say the an "arduino.org" board isn't as valid as an "arduino.cc" board - from the standpoint of both as products. I've already aired my views on the issue here and elsewhere, so I won't rehash them.

If it's actually a counterfeit board, though - then you should just take it as a "life lesson" - and buy your boards from known real suppliers - not Amazon or Ebay. Or, you should purchase clone boards (which are perfectly legit as long as they don't use any trademarked names or logos). As far as what to do with the board you have? I'd keep it - what's done is done - and use it for testing. It likely works just as well as other boards. If you are really concerned, consider taking your money you got back, and donating it to arduino.cc (if you can).

EDIT: Forget what I said at the top - I see you are aware (but maybe others aren't, so I am leaving the comment)...

:D
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

westfw

(IMO, arduino.cc isn't doing so well establishing their own hardware pipeline. :-(  Maybe it's not as trivial as they thought.)
(Meanwhile, arduino.org continues to be unimpressive with their software development efforts.  Maybe that's not as trivial as they thought, either.)

Sigh.

Go Up