Go Down

Topic: Sketch Versioning (Read 727 times) previous topic - next topic

calmconviction

Jun 02, 2009, 11:16 pm Last Edit: Jun 02, 2009, 11:16 pm by calmconviction Reason: 1
I'll preface this by saying I know this might be a bit overkill but this problem is driving me crazy. I write sketches on my home computer, laptop, and occasionally at work. I usually email the sketch to myself then download it and work on it elsewhere. The problem is sometimes I find myself rewriting the same code because I forgot I worked on it on a different (eg still on the laptop but I'm using my desktop now).

Do other people have the same problem? I know *of* git, svn, cvs, etc but I've never used one or know which would be the best to use for this case. Versioning a sketch seems overkill to me but I think it will solve the problem of having incomplete sketches or the stupendously annoying I-forgot-I-wrote-this-so-I'll-recode-it-again.

Any suggestions for the best versioning system for Arduino sketches would be greatly appreciated. It doesnt have to be fancy. I just want something that I can upload some work from one computer, download it from another, then look at the history and find an old version or missing function, etc.

Thanks
Alex

Robert Lee

Jun 02, 2009, 11:52 pm Last Edit: Jun 02, 2009, 11:53 pm by hdsrob Reason: 1
I don't use versioning for sketches yet (I think it's time to start!), but you can work with any of the many systems available.

IMO for a single user with multiple machines, SVN is probably a good choice. You can get free SVN hosting from a bunch of places.
Basically you have to think of the repository as the parent folder for the files. When you get to a computer, you "update" the local copy from the repository, and when you leave that computer you "commit" them back to the repository (or more often, like just before making a broad sweeping change that you may want to undo later!).

There's a lot more to version control, but for what you are trying to accomplish that should get you going.

I use a free unfuddle http://unfuddle.com/ account to handle my personal web sites and projects. I know that there are others out there, but that's the only one I have experience with. I'm sure that others can recommend other products.

HTH,
Rob

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy