Go Down

Topic: Building the tools behind the Arduino IDE--Linux (Read 795 times) previous topic - next topic

doctorwho8

[font=Times New Roman]
Hello!
Has anyone managed to build the tools for the Arduino using Slackware Linux using the ideas described here: http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Linux/Slackware?

Those strange characters are actually the "--" that the configure scripts use to assist the specialty features to be setup.

I've got it currently building on a Slackware 11.0 system and did succeed in building it on a 12.1 system. Naturally someone went ahead and built it for that system release.

I find this to be an interesting concept because Slackware happens to be the oldest distribution still being continuously updated and released, and even used.

This because you need to click Slackware on the site to see what is the suggested method.

And of course since I normally use Windows for the whole process of creating a sketch and trying it out on the destination device, I didn't realize that a specially prepared copy of AVRdude was needed on Linux.

Well anyway I'll know if it works, but I am also interested in packages for 11.0 of Slackware.
-----
/me  
[/font]

wayoda

Hi,
If you run your SlackWare distribution on a x86 machine there should be no need to re-compile the avrdude-version the Arduino-Ide uses.
And apart from that you need only a JavaRuntime.

And there is also nothing magic with the Arduino-specific AVRDude-binary. In one of my own projects http://code.google.com/p/angbt/ I upload the sketches  with the AvrDude-binary that comes with the distribution. The only thing you currently need is the "avrdude.conf" from the Arduino-IDE because this file is out-of-date on many distributions in respect to the atmega328p.

Eberhard

doctorwho8

[font=Times New Roman]
Hello!
The AvrDude isn't the problem. It is the toolchain that is the problem. But thank you for your kind words.

For example I followed the exact script described on the page I quoted, and naturally the IDE we use could not find the toolchain.  :o

And that was after translating dingbats (Odd looking characters) into these "--" for the configure script tool presentation fixes.
--
/me
[/font]

wayoda

Hi,
never used slackware, but I'm pretty sure there are pre-built packages for "avrdude, avr-gcc and avr-libc" ready to install. This shpould be all you need.

Check on http://www.linuxpackages.net/

The page you stumbled upon might be misleading, I don't think you have to compile the toolchain yourself (nowadays).

Eberhard

doctorwho8

[font=Times New Roman]
Hello!
And I've been to the site already. They do not have a set created for 11.0. Just for 12.1 made up. Now I might be so inclined to install that one, and hopefully it will work for me for that system.

But I've got two up and running for supporting older applications who needed even older hardware. But that's for the PC side of things, not for the Arduino.

I believe we've reached an interesting stopping point.

Thank you anyway.
----
/me
[/font]

Go Up