Go Down

Topic: New Arduino IDE (Read 3269 times) previous topic - next topic

cr0sh

This is not an editor - it is an IDE for beginners.

Oops - when I wrote editor I meant IDE.

Of course an optimal solution would be to come with a default version control and the capability to integrate any other version control. Just as with the boards / programmers. There are reasonable defaults but you can extend it as you desired.

That would be the best of both possible worlds; I agree.

:)
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

mowcius

I have another request.

Can it feature highlight-and-drag moving of text. This always annoys me. You try and highlight some text to drag it to the next line and it just starts to highlight again. :o

Mowcius

mowcius

I have another request.

Can you f*** off with repeating comments.

51 posts so far, all are just repeated comments not making any sense.

orbitalair

Why not simply integrate with one of the many already up and running ide projects?

codeblocks, eclipse, scintilla, emacs, etc.

I hate eclipse, but codeblocks is functioning pretty well in linux and windows for me.  It supports templates, projects, code completion, version control, multiple compilers, etc, etc.

Why rebuild an ide from scratch every time???

Daanie92

Why rebuild an ide from scratch every time???

That is a good question.

The reason why I build it is because I want to learn. I learn by making a new program and solve the problems that come with it.

But of course, we are just reinventing the wheel over and over again. There are a lot of IDEs that can be modified by plugins to make them work with arduino.

I can only say this:
This IDE is designed specifically for Arduino. All extras are written to help developing for Arduino. If you want to write plugins for Code::Blocks, you have to write a project management system, preprocessor, avr compiler. The things that already exist are the codeeditor and highlighting (which you have to modify by a plugin).

I think it is easier to write your own IDE than creating plugins for other IDEs

Udo Klein

This is exactly the point for reinventing the wheel. Whoever reinvents the wheel will understand it better than he who buys it of the shelf :)

Udo
Check out my experiments http://blog.blinkenlight.net

drhex

One thing that code editors rarely get right:
When I copy one or more lines of text and paste it in elsewhere, I would like the indentation of the pasted text to match the lines around where it is pasted, not copied verbatim from the source lines.

Dreaming here..  ::)

westfw

So I gotta ask...  Is this a project that is within your abilities as a programmer to make substantial progress toward completion?  Or just a dream?

If you were to start by adding features to the existing Arduino IDE, things might go better, you'd help "Processing" and "Wiring" as well. and GET help from those communities as well...

I understand the frustration of the "plugins are harder to write than a whole new IDE" view, but usually there are good reasons for that; ranging from "the IDE part is harder to write than you think" to "We thought of things that the IDE should do with plugins that you didn't, and they're important."

Daanie92

So I gotta ask...  Is this a project that is within your abilities as a programmer to make substantial progress toward completion? Or just a dream?

It is in my abilities, I just need to get my mind to it. It is very frustrating to know the result, the way to do it but not getting it done.
It is also a dream, I have to admit. Because it is another project that I have started but may never get finished.
The last few days I have been preoccupied, but I will be working on this project soon.

WanaGo

An extension of what has been mentioned, but one thing that is slightly irratating about the Arduino IDE is how it doesnt handle caps for somethings, like

False, FALSE etc - it has to be false
same with if, else etc all that stuff.

ideally if it needs it to be lower case, then it should correct for ones that are not entered as it would like, ie automatically change False to false.

Just a suggestion for your IDE.

retrolefty

False, FALSE etc - it has to be false
same with if, else etc all that stuff.

Isn't that a issue with the core C/C++ language, libraries and define statements in your source , rather then a IDE/editor defined issue? I suspect changing basic C/C++ syntax is not really something you would want to just try and change to your liking. You would have to change the language name from C/C++ to the WanaGo language ;)

Lefty

WanaGo

Well I have come from Bascom-AVR which uses the GCC compiler as far as I am aware, and the IDE actually accepts variations like False, false, FALSE etc - they all are ok. In Arduino IDE only false goes 'bold' showing a valid value, whereas Bascom for example they all do.

Was just an idea.

Daanie92

ideally if it needs it to be lower case, then it should correct for ones that are not entered as it would like, ie automatically change False to false

That looks like this function:
I will add an auto-replace list like the one found in Word

(Page 1)

OpenSource

Jul 25, 2010, 01:05 am Last Edit: Jul 25, 2010, 01:05 am by OpenSource Reason: 1
Hi,

I have been looking for another Arduino IDE for some time. I´ve read about Eclipse combined with the AVG package but I think this is to difficult for a beginner.

I really like that someone is making another dedicated Arduino IDE instead of adapting a "general" (like Eclipse) one.

Will this be a one man project or do you allow other programmers to add their contributions? I am afraid that a one man project will never get finished (due to other occupations ect..) Sorry about that  :-/ Please convince me I am wrong :)

Have you already contacted the developers of the Arduino IDE, and let them share their thoughts about your plans?

Keep up the good work, I will really give is a go when you have a public version.

Cheers,

/me

Go Up