Go Down

Topic: Detecting specific motions using accelerometer (Read 2158 times) previous topic - next topic

aboyne

Jul 23, 2010, 08:27 pm Last Edit: Jul 23, 2010, 08:27 pm by aboyne Reason: 1
Hey all,

I am going to soon begin trying to recreate one of these: http://www.thewandcompany.com/ using an arduino. This is my first project with arduino, so I will be starting slow by first just creating a setup that can learn and reproduce IR signals. I feel like I can handle this part, but the accelerometer has been making me a little more nervous.

I want to have at least 5 basic motions, flip up (volume up), flip down (volume down), right flick (channel up), left flick (channel down), and flick up & down (power). Has anyone worked with detecting these motions? I do not have my arduino or components yet, but I am just thinking ahead of time.

Thanks.

aboyne

I don't know if I posted this in the wrong place, please let me know if I did. I have been thinking about this problem, and have a bit of an idea of what I want to do.

First step would be to detect the direction of a voluntary motion. To do this I was thinking of the following (in sudo code).
Code: [Select]

threshold = # (how much the force needs to change before it is considered voluntary)

vals = readSensor
init_x = vals[xforce]
init_y = vals[yforce]
init_z = valz[zforce]

vals = readSensor
x = vals[xforce]
y = vals[yforce]
z = valz[zforce]

diff_x = x-init_x
diff_y = y-init_y
diff_z = z-init_z

if(diff_x>threshold): #Moved right
if(dir_x<threshold*-1): #Moved  left
if(dir_y>threshold): dir = #Moved up
if(dir_y<threshold*-1): #Moved down
if(dir_z>threshold): #Moved forward
if(dir_z<threshold*-1): #Moved back

That is my basic idea for determining that there was a voluntary motion in a certain direction. From there, I would give an amount of time to wait for the next motion (milliseconds probably). Record the sequence of motions, and look to see if that sequence matched a pre-defined sequence. If it does, then fire a specific IR code.

I have never worked with accelerometers before, so I am sure I am missing something here. I realized the fact that the accelerometer sensor will detect gravity, but this should account for that. I might code this up for my phone soon to test it out.

I am interested in hearing opinions if anyone has them.

Thanks.

Andrew

I've never done it myself (though it sounds a fun project) but there is some pseudo-code here http://www.codeshogun.com/blog/2009/04/17/how-to-detect-shake-motion-in-android-part-i/ and actual code here http://www.clingmarks.com/?p=25 that might help you.

Andrew

aboyne

I tried something fairly similar to that code, but gravity is kind of messing me up. I have some rotation when I am doing the motions, and that means that gravity starts to act on different axis in the middle of a motion. Back to the drawing board.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy