Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino control the 2.4" TFT LCD  (Read 14785 times)
Oslo, Norway
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I just re-read the product pages at ITead, and the way I understand it is that all the modules support a SST25VF016B Flash-chip, but you supply it and solder it on yourself.

I have ordered some samples from Microchip, so maybe there will be support for them in the future  smiley-wink

The text on my website is based on the product description at ITead, but I feel that their description is a bit unclear regarding the flash memory.

/Henning

I'm kinda new, but I can get around.
View Profile

@doc_norway

I have been playing around with your library for a good week now. It's nice.

I do have a question at this point: How did you make the larger font? I looked into the small & large font files which are encoded in hex. Did you use some software/font editor to make this possible? Or did you make the font manually?

The reason I ask is because I want to make a font of my own for my project. I would be happy to share the results with the community, but need a little help getting started.

Oslo, Norway
View Profile

@blueblur22

I am glad you like my library.

The small font was taken directly from the library made by ITead, so I do not know how it was made.

When making the large font I did actually calculate all the values manually smiley

Due to the limited memory on the Arduino, I would not recommend adding another font, but feel free to replace the exitsting ones.
If you require other sizes than 8x12 or 16x16 you will have to make alteration to the print-functions as well.

If you need help with the format of the files/arrays, please let me know.

/Henning

Right Here!
Arduino rocks
View Profile

In view of the slowness of the display wouldn't it be an idea to use serial-in parallel-out shift registers? Then all you need is one output for data, one for clock and one for enable (or whatever the display need to read the data).

Then again, are there any spi-parallel chips?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 11:58:29 am by zaphil » Logged

Oslo, Norway
View Profile

I can't see why it would be an improvment to make a serial interface to these displays. It would only slow down transfer even further. The speed is not limited by the display, but by the ATmegas ability to push data to the display.

That being said, I have been toying with an idea to make a hardware accelerator for the displays  :o
It is still in the idea-stage, so don't get you hopes up...

/Henning

Right Here!
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Oh. I thought it was the display that was slow - sorry.

View Profile

Thanks for your speedy reply!  smiley

Yes, my font would actually be something in between the large/small ones and would be used instead of the large font. I don't have the space to display the large font for what I am doing, but the small one is barley readable to the older audience of people this thing will be built for.

I really am not sure how to edit this or make one from scratch. I do understand hex and binary though, so I know I can do it with a little more information/guidance.

Oslo, Norway
View Profile

@blueburr22

I will try write some instructions on how to make a new font, but it might take a while. I am quite busy at the moment.

If you need a font-width between 8 and 16 pixels you will have to not only rewrite the print functions, but deal with byte alignment (or waste a lot of memory). Font widths that are not a multiple of 8 adds a lot of complexity to the functions. That is the main reason I used 16x16 for the large font.

/Henning

Oslo, Norway
View Profile

I have made a How-To on how you can make your own font.

You can find it on my web-site: http://www.henningkarlsen.com/electronics/a_h_itdb02_fonts_101.php

Sorry it took so long, but it is rather hard to type with an injured arm  smiley-sad

/Henning

View Profile

Thank you very much for this. I have skimmed it and it looks like a great place to start. I will look at it in more detail soon when I have a little more time (the holiday season is a rush).

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: