Go Down

Topic: Measurement of Bandgap voltage (Read 18921 times) previous topic - next topic

retrolefty

Jan 15, 2011, 09:01 pm Last Edit: Jan 15, 2011, 09:03 pm by retrolefty Reason: 1
Cool, something to play with tonight.

So is the purpose of this so that the A/D conversion is performed in a quieter condition then normal non-sleeping condition? I have noticed that on the code I've posted that if I perform just one read of the bandgap voltage it has not settled down to a stable count value. Three reads is OK, within a count or two, and four has the same stable count reading that stays the same no matter how long the function continues. I recall reading in the datasheet about having to perform multiple A/D conversions before obtaining a stable reading, but I thought that was only when changing voltage references, which I'm not doing?

Again thanks for posting the code.

Lefty

Coding Badly

Jan 15, 2011, 10:53 pm Last Edit: Apr 08, 2014, 09:24 pm by Coding Badly Reason: 1
So is the purpose of this so that the A/D conversion is performed in a quieter condition then normal non-sleeping condition?

Exactly.  I've notice some difference on the ATmega processors.  There seems to be less jitter in the least-significant bit.  I've noticed a huge difference on the ATtiny processors.  The values are rather erratic in "polling mode" but rock solid in "noise reduction mode".

I have noticed that on the code I've posted that if I perform just one read of the bandgap voltage it has not settled down to a stable count value.

My 168 and 328 processors behave the same way.  The first reading after switching ADMUX to "measure the bandgap" is garbage.

Three reads is OK, within a count or two, and four has the same stable count reading that stays the same no matter how long the function continues.

About the same here.  I usually have a short time delay between readings so, in my case, the readings are stable by the third one.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy