Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Measurement of Bandgap voltage  (Read 13627 times)
Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Cool, something to play with tonight.

So is the purpose of this so that the A/D conversion is performed in a quieter condition then normal non-sleeping condition? I have noticed that on the code I've posted that if I perform just one read of the bandgap voltage it has not settled down to a stable count value. Three reads is OK, within a count or two, and four has the same stable count reading that stays the same no matter how long the function continues. I recall reading in the datasheet about having to perform multiple A/D conversions before obtaining a stable reading, but I thought that was only when changing voltage references, which I'm not doing?

Again thanks for posting the code.

Lefty
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 03:03:30 pm by retrolefty » Logged

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

So is the purpose of this so that the A/D conversion is performed in a quieter condition then normal non-sleeping condition?
Exactly.  I've notice some difference on the ATmega processors.  There seems to be less jitter in the least-significant bit.  I've noticed a huge difference on the ATtiny processors.  The values are rather erratic in "polling mode" but rock solid in "noise reduction mode".

I have noticed that on the code I've posted that if I perform just one read of the bandgap voltage it has not settled down to a stable count value.
My 168 and 328 processors behave the same way.  The first reading after switching ADMUX to "measure the bandgap" is garbage.

Three reads is OK, within a count or two, and four has the same stable count reading that stays the same no matter how long the function continues.
About the same here.  I usually have a short time delay between readings so, in my case, the readings are stable by the third one.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 02:24:39 pm by Coding Badly » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: