Go Down

Topic: Arduino Info (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

RuggedCircuits

I and other people use or will use the name Arduino in publications, etc. Should we place the conventional copyright symbol after the name (the letter c inside a circle)?

No. The name "Arduino" is not copyrighted, it is trademarked. Names cannot be copyrighted -- the physical schematics, software, board designs, etc. could be copyrighted (but they are not, they are open-source).

Here are the two Arduino trademarks I found if you are interested:

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4002:fkgc1v.2.2
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4002:fkgc1v.2.1

Note that these trademark documents also list the name of the company ("legal entity") you are looking for, though possibly it is a the office of an attorney.

If you want to use the "TM" (or R with a circle) you can to alert others that the name is trademarked, but it's not really necessary. It's up to the holder of the trademark to enforce it -- your doing so could really just be a form of solidarity :)

Anyone who is a lawyer or has more info, please feel free to chime in and/or correct the above.

--
The Rugged Motor Driver: two H-bridges, more power than an L298, fully protected

amcduino

Hi RuggedCircuits

I tried to open the URL's you sent me but could not. I got a message "Session expired,etc."

Anyway, thank you so much for your useful information. So, are the Chinese who use the name Arduino on their boards not infringing on any copyright or trademark laws? Could I use the name Arduino in my book without worrying about it?

Best regards
amcduino

RuggedCircuits

I tried to open the URL's you sent me but could not. I got a message "Session expired,etc."

Hmph. That's annoying. Just start at the main TESS search screen and follow the links to search for trademarks:

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=login&p_lang=english&p_d=trmk

So, are the Chinese who use the name Arduino on their boards not infringing on any copyright or trademark laws?

If a manufacturer uses a trademarked name in making something that could reasonably be confused with the original product then it is a trademark violation. So yes, if a third-party manufacturer makes a board and puts the Arduino trademarked name/design on it, they are infringing because they are clearly trying to mislead people. I'm not clear on what the situation is if they just call something an "Arduino" but do not put the special design (with the infinity symbol) on it, that is, don't use the actual trademark image.

Could I use the name Arduino in my book without worrying about it?

In my opinion, which is just that and not legal advice, yes.

You could also (again...just an opinion) sell Arduino cookies without worrying about it. The reason there is that someone buying a cookie could not reasonably be misled into thinking they're buying an electronic device of the same name.

--
The Quick Shield: breakout all 28 pins to quick-connect terminals

amcduino

Hi RuggedCircuits

I noticed Sparkfun uses the name Arduino on their boards but place the letters TM as a subscript. Also, a number of Chinese companies uses the name Arduino, but not on their boards, to perhaps distinguish that the particular board is Arduino-compatible. I am not an attorney but I believe that such a use is cosher.

Thanks again for taking the time to clarify.

amcduino

Go Up