Go Down

Topic: Serial communication with computer (Read 669 times) previous topic - next topic

MikMo

Oct 29, 2007, 06:20 pm Last Edit: Oct 29, 2007, 11:36 pm by MikMo Reason: 1
I'm developing a computer program that will communicate with an Arduino board.
I have a couple of questions regarding the serial communication.

I'm setting up a dialog box to let the user configure the COM port and i want to have pre filled dropdown boxes witth the legal values for the parameters.

It seems that the only paramater of the serial communication that can be changed from the Arduino software is the baud rate. Would it be correct to asume that the other parameters are allways fixed at these settings :  8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity, no hardware flow control ?

When i use Hyper terminal on Win. XP and select the COM port that constitutes the Arduino board i'm able to select these baud rates : 110, 300, 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200, 230400, 460800, 921600.  Does the Hyperterminal interogate the FTDI driver and ask for it's capabilities or are these values just generic valus used for any COM port ?  

Can the Arduino board communicate at speeds over 115200 baud ?

EDIT : Ignore the last question, since many UARTS in PC serial ports cant handle higher speeds anyway.

Thank you all

Cheater

Would it be correct to asume that the other parameters are allways fixed at these settings :  8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity, no hardware flow control ?

Not sure about that. Looking at the source would reveal that sort of stuff.
On the playground there is a command for Linux which allows you to use the serial port as a standard terminal. It would also have the full parameters.

Does the Hyperterminal interogate the FTDI driver and ask for it's capabilities or are these values just generic valus used for any COM port ?[/quotes]
They are standard baud rates. Serial ports are 'dumb' and cant be interrogated.

Can the Arduino board communicate at speeds over 115200 baud ?

Damn. Its a 16mhz chip. What are you trying to do to the poor thing? ;D
I dont think the FTDI can handle faster though.

MikMo

Oct 30, 2007, 12:55 pm Last Edit: Oct 30, 2007, 12:58 pm by MikMo Reason: 1
I realized that the UART in most PC's wont communicate faster than 115.200 so it's not really an issue :-)

But what i wanted to find out is how fast can you read 16 potentiometers with Arduino and send the values over the serial line to a PC.

Go Up