Go Down

Topic: Problem compiling a basic Processing application (Read 461 times) previous topic - next topic

I am going through the "Making things talk" book and have hit a strange roadblock. Using code copied and pasted from thebook website and compiling it with Arduino 0011 Alpha, I get the following error which I don't understand (http://www.makingthingstalk.com/chapter2/48/#more-48) :

error: variable or field 'serialEvent' declared void In function 'void setup()':
At global scope:

(and that's it)

It must be something really silly I am overlooking, or maybe an API or compiler change ? Any idea ? I am trying to compile that in the Arduino 011 Alpha IDE, I am guessing that's what the author means by "Open the Processing Application". Let me know if I am mistaken.

Thank in advance,

I think that means the processing app, available from here.

Do you have processing installed and are you using a Mac?

I didn't have processing installed. And I do use a Mac. I was under the false impression that Arduino.app would compile and run Wiring & Processing applications. I was mistaken. I downloaded Processing and ran the code with no issue.

While the book spends a lot of time detailing (what is trivial for me) network concepts it sometimes takes shortcuts when it comes to electronics basics and the IDE/language.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131