Go Down

Topic: 8 Bit I/O (Read 442 times) previous topic - next topic

Is it possible to read or write a whole byte through the ports using Arduino 0011?, I would like to be able to read data from the old 2516 style eproms and display it, and if that works even create a programmer.

There is an overview of direct port IO in the playground here: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/PortManipulation

One issue you will have is that the standard arduino board does not have 8 pins free on any of the ports. Port D is the only one with 8 pins connected, but pins 0 and 1 are used by the serial hardware.

You can get around this by using the 4 high bits from port D (pins 4-7) and the 4 low bits from port B (pins 8-11) or port C (pins 14-17 aka the analog pins). Your code would need to read the values of ports B and C into variables, mask the relevant bits and 'or' them together. There is a link to bitmath in the playground reference above.

Thanks that was quick, I got myself a Sanquino too, so that may be a better board to use for this task, but the method is what I was after, thanks again.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131