Go Down

Topic: Arduino 101 Error: device not responding. (Read 17917 times) previous topic - next topic

ballscrewbob

Sometimes just hitting "reset" (not master reset) on the first fail is enough to kick start the darn thing.

In doing that make sure its is a simple sketch such as BLINK or MINIMUM from examples.

is there a specific reason you are not up to 1.8.2 or 1.8.3 for the IDE ?

Not found any difference in operation for the 101 on those releases here.

Btw please learn to use the code tags ( </> )  it makes posts a lot easier to use for error messages and sketches.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

b_dunn

Ballscrewbob

1.)  I tried plain reset and Master Reset with neither one working.
2.)  I went through nearly all of the IDE versions to see if one worked - none of them allowed me to upload to the board.  I happened to have revision 1.8.2 loaded the time I took the information for my post.  I am using 1.8.3 now and normally since it came out.
3.)  I tried Com3, Com5, Com13 and Com15 -  none of these allowed me to upload to the board.
4.)  I found each time I downloaded a new IDE a request came for me to O.K. "download srl driver" - I did O.K. download of the srl driver on previous days. Today, I read that was a separate company and did not O.K. download of the srl driver - neither way permitted me to upload the compiled Hex code to the board.
5.)  I visually examined the Hex file ASCII code within the Blink.ino.hex file - the ASCII hex code looks normal - it must be a good compilation.
6.)  I watched the Device Manager page while my upload was being held up by the
Code: [Select]
waiting for device...
error and noticed my upload threw a Windows 45 error in yellow on the active USB port Com15 - this indicates the port driver was lost at the time I was waiting on device - why is this occurring?.  This might explain the trouble I am having. When the IDE code compilation finally comes to an end with an
ERROR: Timed out waiting for Arduino 101 on COM15  The Windows 45 error is gone and the active port shows again in Device Manager as Com15 as the failed attempt at uploading ends.

Here is the code a short time before and during this particular time:

\arduino_build_721058/Blink.ino.hex"
Sketch uses 48712 bytes (31%) of program storage space. Maximum is 155648 bytes.
Forcing reset using 1200bps open/close on port COM15
C:\Users\Bill\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\arduino101load\2.0.1/arduino101load -dfu=C:\Users\Bill\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\dfu-util\0.9.0-arduino1 -bin=C:\Users\Bill\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_721058/Blink.ino.bin -port=COM15 -v -ble_fw_str="ATP1BLE00R-1631C4439" -ble_fw_pos=169984 -rtos_fw_str="" -rtos_fw_pos=0 -core=2.0.0
arduino101load 2.0.1 - compiled with go1.7.5
Starting download script...
Serial Port: COM15
BIN FILE C:\Users\Bill\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_721058/Blink.ino.bin
Waiting for device...
Waiting for device...
Waiting for device...
Waiting for device...
Waiting for device...
Flashing is taking longer than expected
Try pressing MASTER_RESET button
Waiting for device...
Waiting for device...
Waiting for device...
Waiting for device...
Waiting for device...
ERROR: Timed out waiting for Arduino 101 on COM15
ERROR: Timed out waiting for Arduino 101 on COM15

ballscrewbob

OK first off you will be fine with the .SRL drivers.
I would let them install as they should also be the latest ones.
AFAIK they are properly signed too.

I can only use my 101 with the desktop IDE and not at all with the ONLINE editor.

Have become so accustomed to just hitting reset at the very first "Waiting for device..." rather than the lottery of will it wont it.

Adding an attachment to this post too that I developed because I have so many different boards and change IDE's to test etc etc

Maybe it might help ?

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

redpillbug

When you load the code, it will show
 Flashing is taking longer than expected
Try pressing MASTER_RESET button
at this time hold the master reset button or press and release it continuously then it will work.
It worked to me. Hope if this helps you guys. :)

Mistral101

I had the same issue crop up today out of the blue.  I changed nothing on my PC or otherwise - I just started getting the error message "flashing is taking longer than expected try pressing master_reset button"

I updated the firmware per ballscrewbob's instructions on the following post:  http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=468349.0

I also removed and reinstalled the Arduino plugin. 

The online editor now works. 

In 25 years of working with PCs, I've seen time and again how $#!+ happens for no apparent reasons.  Frustrating for sure. 

ballscrewbob - thanks for your help here - this is the second problem you've helped me resolve.  Appreciate your contributions to the forum. 

ballscrewbob

@ Mistral101

People here help me as much if not more than I help others.
Just giving back to the community but thanks for boosting my confidence in what I try to do.
Just remember I can also be wroung ;)

Go Up