Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Author Topic: Sending Data to Serial Port through VB  (Read 8092 times)
Palmetto, FL USA
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Andy,

Glad to hear that you got it working!

And no problem with the help.

Rob

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hi Rob,
I had one follow up question I was hoping you might be able to help me with.  I am trying to bring in the accelerometer data from a wii remote into Grasshopper.  I've got 2 lines in my Arduino code that prints 2 different lines, each with a number for the two directions of the accelerometer.
Code:
Serial.println((byte)accx,DEC);
Serial.println((byte)accy,DEC);
So, when I turn on the Serial Monitor... I get two numbers, each on their own line (which makes sense, because I'm using the println command)... However, when I read this data into Grasshopper... it combines both numbers into 1 larger number... so if my accx number = 172 and my accy number = 105, then the number that comes into Grasshopper is 172105.  If they came into Grasshopper on 2 consecutive lines then I can split the list into 2 and isolate each number... but it's more difficult when the number is combined into one 6 digit number... Is there anything in the code that would be combining the 2 numbers into 1 line?  Here is the code that we came up with.
Code:
 Sub RunScript(ByVal StepNumber As Integer)

Select Case StepNumber
      Case 0
        OpenPort()
        Print("Port has been opened")
      Case 1
        'Print(StoredValue)
        Print(CInt(Val(StoredValue)))
      'A = StoredValue
      Case 2
        ClosePort()
        Print("Port has been closed")
    End Select
  End Sub

#Region "Additional methods and Type declarations"

' I wrapped this in a class, but you would need to work it into the grasshopper class

Private WithEvents CPort As New IO.Ports.SerialPort        'port with events
  Private TempBuffer As String = String.Empty            'holds the input between events until we get a new line
  Private Delegate Sub HandleComPortDelegate()  'allows com port to run in a background thread without blocking
  Private StoredValue As String = String.Empty  'holds value from port until you call for it

Sub OpenPort()              'called early in the app, before the port is ever needed. This attaches the port, and opens it to listen.
    Try
      If CPort.IsOpen = False Then
        CPort = My.Computer.Ports.OpenSerialPort("COM3", 9600)
      End If
    Catch ex As Exception
      'MessageBox.Show("no port")
      MessageBox.show(ex.tostring)
    End Try
  End Sub

'this would be better as a property, but I don't know how Grasshopper handles properties
  Function GetValue() As String
    Return StoredValue
  End Function

'this is fired by the port when it has data
  Private Sub CPort_DataReceived(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.IO.Ports.SerialDataReceivedEventArgs) Handles CPort.DataReceived
    Dim HndlComPort As New HandleComPortDelegate(AddressOf HandleComPort)             'declare thread
    HndlComPort.Invoke() ' invoke a new delegate to digest the events

End Sub

Private Sub HandleComPort()        'background handler for com port

TempBuffer &= CPort.ReadExisting  'append into tempbuffer
    If (Strings.Right(TempBuffer, 2) = vbCrLf) Then        'if end of item            'this may need to be changed, since Arduino's println may use cr or lf only. I can't remember at this point.
      StoredValue = TempBuffer             'offload
      TempBuffer = String.Empty             'reset
    End If

End Sub

'should be called when the port is no longer needed.
  Private Sub ClosePort()
    If CPort IsNot Nothing Then
      If CPort.IsOpen = True Then
        CPort.Close()
      End If
      CPort.Dispose()
    End If
  End Sub
#End Region

Palmetto, FL USA
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I hadn't considered that, but the point where we convert the string to an integer, it is removing all of the formatting elements of the string, and merging the numbers together.

If you remove the "cint(val(" and the "))" from the print statement you should get a string back.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

The problem is that I need the numbers to be numbers and not strings... is there any way to keep then still numbers but keep their formatting?

Palmetto, FL USA
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Not the way we are doing it now. If I had an accelerometer I'm sure I could read the byte array of the serial buffer and do a much better job of dealing with the incoming data directly. This way you could split the x and y readings when they come in at the port, and put them into two separate variables. Then you could print them both in runScript.

I honestly think that you are at the point where it will be much easier to get that part of the code working in VB, and then copy and paste it back into the script.

I would be happy to provide some more support via email if you wanted to take that direction.

Rob

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Jump to: