Go Down

Topic: XBee burnt? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

darktangent

Hi
I am getting strange voltages on my XBee pins. I have the module sitting in the XBee shield (m. yarza arduino xbee 1.1 ) on an Adruino Duemilanove (ATmega328).
The associate LED has stopped blinking. Voltages pin# measured to gnd are:
1: 3.3
2: 3.34
3: 1.12
4: 3.29
5: .05
6: 0.05
7: 3.29
8: 3.29
9: 0.06
11: 0.0
12: 3.3
13: 0.0
14: 0.06
15: 0.03
16: 0.05
17: 0.06
18: 0.06
19: 0.05

am i correct in saying that since the logic levels are not 0 and 3.3v the chip is burnt and irreperable?
thanks

PaulS

The Arduino needs to have input/output pins declared as INPUT or OUTPUT before you can reliably measure voltages at the appropriate pin.

I don't know if the XBee pins are configured as INPUT or OUTPUT by default, or if it matters. You'd need to look at the data sheet for the series that you have, to know for sure.

That you do not get either 0 or 3.3 on some of the pins is not (yet) a reason to scrap it.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

darktangent

Interestingly X-Ctu gets a modem response, but it won't enter command mode (+++ in the terminal doesn't generate a response) so can't enter the modem configuration either. Thus I am sure its not scrap as yet.

What sketch should I load onto the Arduino? Do you know how the shield maps the XBee pins to the ATmega pins?

darktangent

I fixed it :D!!!

Now to make a Zigbee network. Using two XBee modules..one sitting on the shield on arduino. other standalone with DOUT connected to a buzzer program Arduino to make the buzzer sound as in  http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Tone.......any suggestions??

PaulS

I fixed it!!!

Great. Want to share what you did, so other people can find something useful later?

You want a XBee/battery/buzzer to play a tone? In response to what? What will the Arduino be doing?

The XBee is a radio that knows how to turn switches on or off. Making it turn the buzzer on and off fast enough to do anything but sound horrible is going to be a problem. The Arduino has more processing power than the XBee, so it can do it.

darktangent

Want to share what you did, so other people can find something useful later?

Basically like I said I was getting a response from the modem when I did a test/query on X-ctu's pc settings tab. The module won't enter command mode so I figured the problem must be with the settings of the xbee uc within it. So I thought that if somehow I could reset it to the default it should work. I kept the usb/xbee header to the usb position and removed the module from the shield. Then hit restore. It prompted me to reset the Xbee so I placed it in then. And magic! it worked. don't know how it did but it started responding and everything. Goes into command mode from the terminal as well. (got the idea to try out this methodology from http://funnel.cc/Hardware/FIO)

When I hit the reset button on the Arduino I want the tone to come out from the buzzer connected to XBee's DOUT. The problem is I only have one arduino and one xbee shield. no breakout for the second xbee module either. so I am just using the VCC and GND on the shield to power the standalone XBee. Now ideally whatever the Arduino XBee transmits to the standalone XBee should come out of the DOUT pin. But I am sure that's not how simple it is.
Do I need another uC to control the standalone xbee? can i not only connect VCC GND and DOUT on it?
Any suggestions at all will be much much appreciated.

PaulS

You can connect Vcc and Gnd to a battery. Then, connect the buzzer to the appropriate DOUT pin (there are multiple pins that perform I/O) and Gnd.

When the appropriate command is sent to the XBee, the buzzer will sound. The frequency with which you will be able to turn the pin on and off will limit the ability of the buzzer to produce a pleasing sound.

darktangent

Any thoughts on how I should program the Arduino? And how do I tell the standalone XBee to output on a specific pin. Sorry for asking so many questions...but am new to all of this

Go Up