Go Down

Topic: Can Arduino send OSC directly to Reaktor etc? (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic

phineus

Oct 23, 2007, 09:15 pm Last Edit: Oct 23, 2007, 09:18 pm by phineus Reason: 1
Great info and thoughts, thanks!

I looked at the Lantronix stuff - I wish they made a board that would give me the Ethernet/UDP/OSC functionality via USB.

Right now I am leaning towards Freeduino/Arduino and meanwhile will wait for the technology to catch up.  I agree with your point that there is (currently) a larger community for Arduino.  Perhaps someone more qualified will solve this so I don't have to.

PS: I just picked up the new Tom Igoe book at Maker Faire Austin and it looks really great!  A lot of stuff I've had to figure out on my own these last few months is all right there in b&w.

nick

I've got my lantronix stuff now so am starting to fiddle. I've hooked it up to a ftdi usb to ttl serial cable and am sending stuff backwards and forwards between telnet and serial - just need to figure out formatting stuff correctly to send down serial for proper osc data to come out.

Reading the osc.org pages and looking at all the stuff that people have done with controllers already to see what is the best way to go.

Omegas

I am currently sending OSC (Open Sound Control) messages using Max/MSP's UDPsend and UDPreceive to control Reaktor from my Arduino.  

But I would like to be able to take Max/MSP out of the equation and talk straight to Reaktor.  Is it possible to have the Arduino send and receive OSC information natively, without intermediary software?

I have been looking for an OSC implementation for Arduino too but haven't really found one that's usable yet. I guess the d.tools Arduino firmware by Stanford's HCI Group comes closest but I would prefer a bit more Arduino-like approach (like a library instead of a custom firmware). But what I did find is a tool that you might want to try: serialosc2udp which is documented to some extent in the CCRMA wiki at http://cm-wiki.stanford.edu/wiki/AVR#Windows_2.

OSC is getting quite a lot of attention these days so I really hope some experienced coder could have a look at the existing implementations for AVR and see if they could be turned into an Arduino library or sketch. You can find two rather simple implementations (both of which are using avrlib) on the CCRMA site at http://ccrma.stanford.edu/courses/250a-fall-2003/docs/avrlib/. Let's get hacking! ;)

GoodVibrations

Hey, I replied elsewhere too, but since I am doing research on the topic, it seems http://adrianfreed.com/content/oscuino-arduino-osc-sketch-open-sound-control-work OSCuino is the most efficient firmware.

The OSC is wrapped in SLIP packets and I cannot unwrap it in e.g. Puredata, Processing.
At the bottom of the page, Freed supplies a Max patch, however I am running Linux now and cannot try it out. Any suggestions about that? Should I use some intermediary script that unpacks?

tilllt

hello, i am new here so i cannot post my first message with links. please ignore.

Go Up