Gnoduino?

Is an article about how to install Gnoduino welcome here? It's the Arduino Java IDE ported to Python and intended for the Gnome desktop.

It's Open Source. It's Arduino related. I can't imagine why it would not be welcome.

Are you using Gnoduino?

Awesome, I hadn't heard of this before! This is dramatically faster on my development laptop than the Java-based IDE.

For folks on RPM-based distributions, extracting the tarball from the Gnoduino website, running "python setup.py bdist_rpm", and installing the generated RPM in the "dist" directory should do the trick. On Fedora, you'll also need the "pyserial" RPM installed.

Cool beans. Wish I could select a different (proportional!) font for the editing frame, though; might need to submit a patch for that.

Hey that's kinda neat. I'm a huge fan of Python and I could see myself possibly using this (that's if I ever migrate away from Windows).

This is pretty neat; I got it installed very quickly (on my Ubuntu 9.10 box - I need to upgrade). I haven't played with it much, but it does seem like something that could be expanded and enhanced. Thanks for posting this!

:slight_smile:

You're welcome. I wanted to post the instructions which I had a hard time finding due to microscopic font disease on the website.

I'm a new user to it so I won't have any greater insight than the rest of you.

http://gnome.eu.org/evo/index.php/Gnoduino

Thanks for the RPM instructions logic, I'd missed those and did the build install option as root.

python setup.py build install

Thanks for the RPM instructions logic, I'd missed those and did the build install option as root.

python setup.py build install

Yeah - they didn't make that too clear; I ran it non-root first time, got some errors about permissions, so sudo'd the command line (on Ubuntu here) and it installed OK.

Something I did find out though was that it wouldn't run properly, unless you invoked the program from where your preferences.txt was located. So I ended up making a small shell script that switches to the directory, then invokes the program - and it was up and running.

I have yet to actually try uploading anything to my Arduino board (I actually don't have any issue with the standard editor, aside from common pet-peeves; I just wanted to try out this python system since it was different).

:slight_smile:

Nice..gotta give this a try.

Thanks