Go Down

Topic: Analog ultrasonic input (Read 908 times) previous topic - next topic

dmiller5

Hello,

I am beginning a project where I will take a analog input from an ultrasonic range finder (MaxBotix EZ1) which outputs voltages in 1mV increments per inch. I was reading and it said that an analog input will give me readings from 0 to 1023. I am new to this and don't understand how the numbers from 0-1023 correspond to the analog input if it changes in mV. Thanks in advance,

Daniel

gpvillamil

Oct 12, 2006, 06:11 am Last Edit: Oct 12, 2006, 06:13 am by gpvillamil Reason: 1
My practical experience with the MaxBotix sensor is this: it will mostly return values between 12 and 254 when connected to Arduino, correlating to inches. However, there will be occasional spikes of higher values, up to 500+. Strangely, these spikes seem to occur when the sensor is pointed towards a highly (audio) reflective surface at close range.

You can use the PWM or serial outputs on the MaxBotix as well, though these correlate quite closely with the analog output. The PWM is excellent when using multiple MaxBotix units, as you can chain several units together.

dmiller5

My practical experience with the MaxBotix sensor is this: it will mostly return values between 12 and 254 when connected to Arduino, correlating to inches. However, there will be occasional spikes of higher values, up to 500+. Strangely, these spikes seem to occur when the sensor is pointed towards a highly (audio) reflective surface at close range.

You can use the PWM or serial outputs on the MaxBotix as well, though these correlate quite closely with the analog output. The PWM is excellent when using multiple MaxBotix units, as you can chain several units together.

Thank you very much. Also, what do you think about using two sensors and then comparing them in order to get an averaged value? Would the PWM just be easier and more efficient method?

Go Up