Go Down

Topic: How to convert analogRead value from accelerometer (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

drd

What I tried was 512 samples at 20 ms apart, and use a long variable to accumulate it into, so as not to overflow a 16-bit int.  I'm wanting to make a IMU to take flying, mainly for attitude reference.  These little sensors are very neat!  I'm also using some ADRSX401 gyro/rate sensors, which are 5v devices, so the aref thing gets complicated.  

If you are doing IMU stuff, there's good info over Spark Fun forum.

D.

vorb

Mar 04, 2007, 12:07 am Last Edit: Mar 04, 2007, 12:23 am by vorb Reason: 1
Thx Drd. I was wondering why my 0g position was reading ~315 instead of 512, but I never set AREF to 3V so I guess that explains it.  

How many samples do you take and average? I had not thought of that. Have you made anything interesting with your accelerometer? These little things are cool.

Edit- How do you set AREF to 3V? I just connected the AREF pin to my 3V output but the pin still reads 5V on my meter. Do I have to configure AREF in my program?

drd

I should have mentioned that aref needs to be connected to 3v to use the entire 0-1023 range.  Otherwise 1023 will mean 5v and -3 to +3G will in the first 3/5 of that range.

D.

drd

I have the same type accelerometer, and I find I need to calibrate each axis for -1, 0, and 1 G.  You can do this by orienting the accelerometer with each axis pointing up, down, or sideways, and averaging a large number of samples.  Ideally, 0 should be -3 G, 511 should be zero G and 1023 should be +3 G, but I find they're each a little different.

Have fun!

D.

vorb

Hi, I am trying to write a program that reads the values from a three axis accelerometer (adxl330 from sparkfun) and then prints the "g" value through the serial monitor. I know that the adxl330 is ratiometric but I'm not sure what the equation is to take the value I get from analogRead() and say how many g's it is.

I built a small DC-DC converter to reduce the arduino's 5V down to 3V to power the adxl330. At rest my voltmeter reads x=1.49V, y=1.54, z=1.82 volts.  The analogRead() values are around 315, 325, 390 for x,y,z. This makes sense because the 10-bit ADC on the arduino follows the equation (voltage/5)*(2^10).

I think the equation to convert to g's is (outputvoltage - 0g_voltage)/0.3

Does anyone know if this is the correct way to do it?

Go Up