Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: read specific bits of a byte?  (Read 442 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I am reading in a single byte over TWI.  Each bit stands for something.  I want to be able to read that byte into a data structure, then be able to reference each bit.  I had thought of something like this

struct {
  uint8_t key1:1;
   uint8_t key2:1;
   uint8_t key3:1;
   uint8_t key4:1;
   uint8_t key5:1;
   uint8_t key6:1;
   uint8_t key7:1;
   uint8_t key8:1;
} keys;

structs keys mykeys;

mykeys = SOME BYTE I HAVE.

Serial.print(mykyes.key1);  // would print a zero or one.

But the above doesn't work.  I think I an misunderstanding how struct works.  Anyone have any thoughts on what would be the simplest way to get the value of each bit?

thanks
chad

Austin, TX
Shh! I am hunting wabbit. Killlll the wabbit!
View Profile

I would use something like the following to test a given bit specified by n where 0 <= n <= 7

value = (keys >> n) & 1;

With this expression value will be either 0 or 1 depending upon what the bit contained.

View Profile

tempalte has got a lot of the right parts, just not all together.

The packed bitfield structure is correct. That will let you access the 8 bits of the byte individually. But if you want to assign a byte into it, then you either need to put it inside a union or do some typecasting.

For whatever reason, it is not the habit of Arduino programmers or the avr-gcc people to use bit structures. They tend to shift and mask. At a first glance, the object code is about the same so it is a matter of preference.  (Personally, I like bit structs for fixed structures, but I don't code that way here.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: