Go Down

Topic: Arduino Yún Retirement and Replacement (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

ngmarduino

I'm having trouble finding information on a suitable replacement for the Yún with long term support since it is being retired.

I'm looking to decide on a platform on which to build a smart fish tank with at least a dozen I/O's between analog sensors, control actuation and streaming a USB camera feed or two. Being able to host Linux, node, and nginx or Apache is key as I want to make a web interface.

doktorinjh

I've had luck with the Seeeduino Cloud, although I found that they did not have the exact same python modules built in. They appear to have been around for a few years, but I can't speak to the long term support comment.

magnetica

I'm very interested too in this topic.

it's better the Seeeduino Cloud or the Dragino YUN module?

is there another solution?
and what about new "genuino" boards? are they full compatible?

thanks guys

Emiliano

jessemonroy650

I'm having trouble finding information on a suitable replacement for the Yún with long term support since it is being retired.

::::SNIP::::

@ngmarduino,
This is for you and other people reading this post.

As many of you know, there is a split with the Arduino organization. The two are generally two Internet domains that encompass the two parties - arduino.cc and arduino.org. To be clear on the separation, arduino.cc does NOT have the Arduino Yun, but is creating a new product with a new partner. Arduino.org has the Yun, Yun mini, Tian, Uno wireless - and other similar products.

There are several issues for developers.
- what are the new products
- support for hardware
- support for software
- will some libraries still be support, like Bridge
- forum support

For .org, it is creating new products and we see them every few months. This is organization is being helped by doghunter. Neither the .org or doghunter have stated any allegiance to open source. The issue this creates is that some developer are unlikely to contribute to the massive software pool mostly available on .cc  One small note, if you look on the back of the original Yun you will see a "dog Hunter" imprint. It is underneath the Ethernet port, on the back side of the PC board.

For .cc, which is known as Genuino in most part of the world - expect the USA, they have struggled to produce significantly new products, and their new partnerships with Adafruit and Seeed have not yield any significantly new products. The challenge is - how will they address the growing IOT market - no response yet on this.

On the libraries, both groups appear to be making advancement. However, new contributions are continuing with .cc, not as much with .org.

On the support forums, .cc definitely had the advantage.

@ngmarduino,
specifically, nginx or Apache is not recommend as a webserver - both are too blotted. There are other alternatives. I'll let others make suggestions, however bottle is very popular with developers.

As for suggestions of other hardware, unless Arduino and Genuino get their collective acts in order I am not recommending either - at this time. Personally, I'm considering other products like RPi and Metawear from MbientLab.

Jesse

ShapeShifter

Jesse, a very nice summary of the current situation!  8)

@ngmarduino,
specifically, nginx or Apache is not recommend as a webserver - both are too blotted. There are other alternatives. I'll let others make suggestions, however bottle is very popular with developers.
Just to be clear, bottle is not a web server, it's a web application framework. It does have a simple web server built into it to support development efforts, but it is not recommended to use that server in a fielded application. In real life, it is designed to run under a more robust web server. That web server could be nginix or Apache, which are often more powerful than needed, or it could be the native uhttpd server that is the default server for the Yun.

ngmarduino: is there a reason that the Yun's uhttpd server might not be suitable? I've been able to get reasonably sophisticated and snappy performance using bottle and the default uhttpd server, although I have to admit I've never tried streaming video feeds, which can be very resource intensive and stress the Yun.

Given your video streaming desires, I would take a look at the Raspberry PI and BeagleBone offerings: while they don't have the built-in Ardiuno sketch processor to handle the sensor interfacing, the Linux processing power is greater than what is on the Yun.

jessemonroy650

Jesse, a very nice summary of the current situation!  8)

Just to be clear, bottle is not a web server, it's a web application framework. It does have a simple web server built into it to support development efforts, but it is not recommended to use that server in a fielded application. In real life, it is designed to run under a more robust web server. That web server could be nginix or Apache, which are often more powerful than needed, or it could be the native uhttpd server that is the default server for the Yun.

::::SNIP::::

@ShapeShifter,
yes you are right. Sometimes in my mind they are all the same. FWIW: I've got webservers and iotservers written in Javascript/node.js

Jesse

Go Up