Go Down

Topic: #define vs variables? (Read 741 times) previous topic - next topic

A._Square

I'm almost positive this must have been discussed somewhere before, but my searches didn't turn anything up, so my apologies.

I was wondering why it seems to be the convention here to use integers to define pin mappings. Wouldn't #define be more space efficient, since the pins presumably aren't changing? And, if there is a good reason for using a variable, why not use a smaller one, like a byte, rather than an int?

That said, in general, why should one use a #define over a variable, and vice versa?

Thanks for indulging a newbie!  :)

mem

Dec 23, 2007, 06:10 pm Last Edit: Dec 23, 2007, 06:11 pm by mem Reason: 1
Good questions.

Using a #define is a little more efficient.
In the Blink example sketch, replacing:
  int ledPin = 13;
with:
 #define ledPin 13

actually reduces the code size by  8 bytes.

but when you do need to manipulate the value as a variable (i.e. looping through pins in a for loop) then declaring the variable as byte is a little more efficient then as an int.

I think int is used in the examples so newbies don't get confused seeing types they are not yet familiar with.

There are many factors to take into consideration when choosing #defines over variables. The pre-processor can optimize constants at compile time so use them when you can. but the pre-processor does not understand the C language so the behavior of your code can be different from a seemingly similar variable expression. Also, #defines can be a little difficult to debug so using a variable is no bad thing unless efficiency is a priority.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy